Food Dehydrator

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Food Dehydrator

Postby raiyo » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:28 am

Anyone have any experience with those? I'm looking into buying one for Kozmo, and for me to I guess. My price range is something under 100.
raiyo

Postby Amy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:29 am

I bought one at Meijer's...haven't used it yet :tongue:
Amy

Postby Suade » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:29 pm

what is that??
Suade

Postby pocketpit » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:25 pm

I have one and use it for pig's ears ect. Works great.
pocketpit

Postby raiyo » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:33 pm

pocketpit wrote:I have one and use it for pig's ears ect. Works great.

brand? model?
raiyo

Postby pocketpit » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:55 am

It's a Mr Coffee brand dehydrator. I couldn't find any indicator of what model it was anywhere on the box. Just said it had a motor driven fan for better drying.
pocketpit

Postby raiyo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:54 pm

Do you have to rotate the dry now and then? How much did it cost you? I'm thinking of getting the one below.

www.truevalue.com/index.cfm?a...
raiyo

Postby pocketpit » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:45 pm

The only items I rotate or turn over are the thick ones. Most everything else I can just leave in there overnight and it's ready to go. The one you poseted a link for looks really nice. Mine is not that fancy looking and it probably cost around $30 if I remember correctly.
pocketpit

Postby Lizpitshb1 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:10 pm

You really do not need one. Just turn a regular oven to the warm setting, which is about 100 -150 degrees, and place the meat on racks, and it will work just like a dehydrator. I make jerky like this all the time and it turns out the same as when I have used a dehydrator, plus you can make bigger batches.
Lizpitshb1

Postby raiyo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:29 am

Lizpitshb1 wrote:You really do not need one. Just turn a regular oven to the warm setting, which is about 100 -150 degrees, and place the meat on racks, and it will work just like a dehydrator. I make jerky like this all the time and it turns out the same as when I have used a dehydrator, plus you can make bigger batches.

I dont have a oven. =( Do close the oven shut or leave a crack? How long do you leave it in, time/meat ratio? Do you leave the meat just raw and bake?
raiyo

Return to Health Issues