What kind of Dog Food does everyone use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog food

Postby liltaz600 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:33 am

I think a good dog food is purina pro plan it seems to keep my dog happy, but it's a little pricey :thumbsup:
liltaz600

Postby PitBullMama » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:29 am

That's what my mom feeds her pups. They love it!
PitBullMama

Postby Suade » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:06 pm

I have had my pup on Innova for about 2-3 weeks, so far so good, she likes it, and so do I b/c less poop in the yard for me to step on :))
Suade

Postby HickGirl » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:50 pm

I double checked the protein in Exceed. It is 30%.
HickGirl
Adolescent Bully

Postby Caka » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:48 pm

I have been feeding Red (My dog) Canadie since he was 3 months old on the "It the best food peroid" reply I kept getting whaen I did research and asked people. When I went to the vet. this last time he said that Red looked a bit skinny and should be about 5 lbs heavier. At 9 months and 60lbs now his backbone has always been slightly visible somewhat and he will not get fat!! He never really has been much of an eater and we came to the conclusion that he just might not like the flavor of Canidae. He goes bonkers over kibbles & bits at my cousing house and wants to scarf the whole bowl down. I know thats crappy food so I never bought it myself. My vet. sells the Wellness and I know its good stuff so I recently made the switch along with some Well Tabs daily vitamins. I did a taste test myself first to see if it tasted different or better. ( yes I ate dog food :-) ) It is all human grade so what the heck ;-) The Wellness did have a more desirable taste to me so next was the dog test. Two bowls, one Canidae, one Wellness. The Welness was empty when I got home and the Canidae was barely touched. He loves the Welness food!! So I continue to do a 50/50 mixture and then one full bowl of welness until the Canidae is all gone. He has already gained 2 lbs in two weeks and hasn't got the runs yet from the change of food. Who knows maybe the Well Tabs are making him gain weight I dont know but I am switching to Wellness full time. This is my personal experience and it might differ from other dogs but I thought I'd give my 2 cents. My vet. sells Wellness too and sure its pricey as was Canidae. I'm sure I could get it elsewhere but hey there is a cute girl at front desk so I guess its worth it :) FWIW there is only one place in 100 miles of here (20 miles for me) that carry Canidae so I'm not too upset on that end either. Hope this helps!!! :peace:

Please forgive my poor sentence structure and sloppy word placement but I'm typing it like I would tell the story and its not ment to be a text book quality paragraph or paragraphs. I could do that but it would be boreing :tongue:
Caka

food for sensitive stomachs

Postby HHK » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:47 pm

We feed Pete Solid Gold after trying many different foods that all gave him the runs and exacerbated his itchy skin.

We've tried Innova, Ca Natural, and Wellness. All are good foods, but did not do well for him. I think they are all pretty rich. I also give him a probiotic/enzyme supplement called "S.P.U.N.K." This has done absolute wonders for his gut. He had chronic diarrhea and colitis that required meds until I discovered the Solid Gold/ S.P.U.N.K combo.
HHK
Adolescent Bully

Postby Skingirl_Kat » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:22 pm

I've heard great things about Innova. We were between Innova and Wellness and we chose Wellness for no particular reason. I would never use the "grocery store" brands like Iams and Pedigree, etc. Cheapy dogfoods usually lead to tooth decay and/or various different cancers and certainly decrease the lifespan of the dog. Spending more is worth it.
Skingirl_Kat

Re: Dog food

Postby Skingirl_Kat » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:26 pm

liltaz600 wrote:I think a good dog food is purina pro plan it seems to keep my dog happy, but it's a little pricey :thumbsup:

Purina is never pricey..whether it's pro plan or not...
Skingirl_Kat

Postby SUPERMAN » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:44 am

I gave my 5 pitbulls purina hi pro and for my 2 cute american bulldogs i gave them eukanuba. :cool: :peace: :thumbsup:
SUPERMAN

Postby brandon » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:38 pm

i have used purina puppy, pro plan, and currently diamond pupy
brandon

Postby concreterose » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:56 am

My girls can't get enough of this Solid Gold. My old girl won't let me get in the door good at work before she's barking her head off sitting in front of the cabinet. I've had to make her start sitting before she eats cause she 'bout bowls me over! I also use the Seameal supplement and they LOVE it. They also love bananas, apples, carrots and pears. No more feet chewing for Pookie either...that stopped about a week after I started giving it to her. All of their coats look much better too :thumbsup:
Last edited by concreterose on Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby valliesong » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:43 pm

i feed canidae with either a little bit of cottage cheese or plain yogurt.

roscoe does well on just about any food, but aiden has skin allergies and a sensitive stomach. they also get old mother hubbard biscuits and sugarless peanut butter in their kongs.

for those of you who feed kibbles and bits and kibbles and chunks - i would seriously reconsider this. i used to work at a boarding kennel, and the dogs that ate these foods - their stool stained the cement! A LOT of unnecessary food coloring, not to mention corn based and full of preservatives. :yucky:
valliesong

Postby Mary Jo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:33 pm

Molly my Pittie loves Nutra mixed with green tripe. I have fed green tripe in the past to my previous dogs and cats and they did extremely well. I belong to a raw food co op and we all order raw and tripe and go pick it up when it is delivered to 3 designated spots.
One day a couple months ago our tripe order was delayed for 2 days. So every day a bunch of us stood on a corner waiting for our tripe delivery in a not so good area or town. The things I do for my doggie. But then she is well worth the effort. Never has given me a bit of trouble in all her 9 years.
Mary Jo
Newborn Bully

Postby JessaNGizmo » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:36 pm

I feed Canidae and Sea Meal Supplements. Works wonders, Ive had a 40lb bag for allmost three months now, The better the food the less food you have to buy! I HIGHLY Recomend Canida, Dry and Canned with Sea Meal!
Jessa N Gizmo!
JessaNGizmo

Postby elegy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:45 pm

i switched my pit girl over to canidae about two weeks ago and wow the difference! i started her on chicken soup when i got her three months ago but she had very soft poops all the time even after the adjustment period, so i switched her to nutro natural, which gave her good poops and a terrible coat. the canidae has made her coat sooo soft and sleek, her poops are fine, and she loves it. i am very happy with this food.
elegy
Bully Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues