Chaney

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Chaney

Postby JCleve86 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:39 pm

God I LOVE this dog. He is my dream dog for sure. I've seen him on PBRC for a LOOONNG time (last I remember, he found a home, but they returned him due to work :po: ).

Chaney W5993
Breed: Pit Bull (APBT)
Sex: Male (neutered)
Weight: 50 to 60 Lbs
Color: Gorgeous blue fawn with green/grey eyes
Housebroken: Yes
Good with kids: Yes
Good with dogs: Yes
Good with cats: Yes

"Chaney is a wonderful boy - he's EXTRAORDINARY with children and we'd like to place him in a home with kids. All of our dogs are good with children but some just live for kids and Chaney is one of those dogs. He's pretty uninterested in cats and is pretty great with dogs - of course, I mean appropriately behaved dogs! Chaney is, in my opinion, about 6 months away from being able to get his Delta Society pet partners certification or his Reading with Rover certification. This is a can't miss dog for those of you with kids who need a bombproof dog. Chaney needs some work on his leash manners but has been walked by a 9 year old and 11 year old so he's, actually, pretty good. I'd like to see him on a loose leash continually so for that, he's going to need a little more work. He, OCCASIONALLY, jumps up on people but it's so much less than before so he'll need some gentle reminders to keep four on the floor - he does not jump on children. He's visited elementary school class and the teacher commented on how calm and relaxed he is with children - he's really a kid dog. Come meet him - he's lovely mentally, emotionally, and physically!"

Look! He's got hops too!

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:01 am

The color of his coat is what first caught me when he was younger. Now THAT, my friends, is a blue fawn. He's so gorgeous, and his temperament is A+++...I have NO idea why he hasn't gotten adopted yet.
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby pocketpit » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:01 am

Well hopefully after this weekend he will be! He's got some prospective new owners meeting him.
pocketpit

Postby JCleve86 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:41 pm

ROCK ON! :dance:

I've never used the nerdy dance man, but this case calls for it!
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby blover27 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:51 pm

good luck to him....something is not right in the world if that great lookin boy with that description cant find a forever home :huh?:
blover27

Postby Kirstan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:40 pm

Well, that's SO NICE!! Thank you to you all for well wishes to him. He is a lovely, lovely dog. We've had him listed for a long time. We've gotten some hits on him, though not as many as you'd think... but nothing of substance for THIS dog. Some of the people have been better fits for some other dogs in our program or other programs or for different breeds and we've steered them in that direction. It's been our great pleasure to have Chaney with us even though it's been a long time.

He's been intro'd to different cats both outside and inside (same cat, different places) and other cats at friends houses, he's wonderful with other appropriately behaved dogs, small OR large (so far) and is amazing with kids. His challenge is learning to walk without pulling but that's it! Oh, he can't swim in rivers worth a damn. Lifejacket with a long line required for a river with Chaney.

His innumerable strengths outnumber most I run across - he's completely wonderful... there is nothing more I can say. He's been a love with everyone though this last meet and greet he did not want to be away from his foster mom at all. He couldn't figure out why his foster dog sister wasn't with him on his walk so he was distracted - they weren't the people I'd pick for a pitbull anyway and had no idea pitbulls were 'so muscular with such big heads' though they said they had a pit mix (didn't from what I could tell) and had breed experience through volunteer work done at a local humane society. It could be that people who look at him see a dog bonded with someone else and think that he won't bond that tightly with them, I'm not sure. He bonds easily and quickly. It's not his style to be 'in your face' all the time. He has been taught not to maul people with his body or tongue since we have all had the therapy dog title or the Reading with Rover title in our sights for him and they are not supposed to cover people in saliva or knock into people. We have worked so hard on getting him to learn to not jump on people but that seems to be what people are looking for right now... confusing. He's well behaved, is housetrained, is great with kids and animals (so far on the animals), great about respectfully going about his business in the house and not begging at dinner, great when sleeping (no super loud snoring and no bedhogging), great hiking, camping, going to other people's houses, riding in cars, good with his nail trims, baths, eager to learn, smart, and has potential oozing from every hair follicle. We've been picky, believe that, but not hard. We want him to go to someone who understands and believes in his potential - you run across dogs like him so rarely anymore. He's got it all but some people don't. They want a housepet and he can do so much more - I feel we owe it to him to home him somewhere where those traits will be recognized. He's a 'total dog' in the making. He'll be an agility whiz, obedience darling, therapy dog, CGC... seriously, he's just that great. I have hopes for him this weekend, we'll see.

Wish him luck - his foster home will have a hell of a time letting him go.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:56 am

:pray <---for Chaney. I wish dogs like him would make the evening news...
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:43 pm

My hopes and prayers for this lovely boy have come true without going to Canada (sorry Katie!). Chaney is being adopted, as I write this, to his foster parents - he's always been their dog. I knew it from the first day he came to their house. He was home. I honestly thought it was not going to be true since his foster mom had agreed to at least meet and interview a potential adopter up in B.C. . Today, however, we got word that we could be part of a start up Reading program in an area desperately needing to educate kids on why we don't fight dogs or bet on fights or breed. It's an area that is having some fairly significant issues with pit bulls (or what people say are pit bulls) and that was the clincher for Chaney. He's made for this kind of stuff and now, he will probably have that certification in 3 months. He's been with his foster mom that long at least and they have to be with their homes for 6 months to test. She'll throw that title on him and we're good to go! Cobi and Chaney will, hopefully, kick off the new Reading program.

His foster mom called me, happily in tears, to tell me he's home. I almost cried.

Thanks to all who wished so hard for him - I'll have her post pics soon.

... JCleve86, maybe they will make the news - I just need a hook and I think I can come up with one. :)

kirstan
Kirstan
Forum Junky

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 pm

THANK YOU KIRSTAN for going the distance for his poor boy! Chaney had a history with our animal control before Kirstan stepped in. We adopted him out TWICE and both times he came back, due to people-stupidity! He would have just been another dead pit bull in the cooler without Kirstan and all the wonderful folks at Bullseye Rescue. Thank you so much from all the staff who loved him at Animal Services!!!!! :inlove:
Diane Jessup

Postby aaron kahn » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:57 pm

cool to hear this (late!) i've also admired this dog on the rescue sites.
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby Boo439 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:09 am

If only I didn't live so far away! I love that he lives for kids. And he's such a high jumper!!!
Boo439

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs