OFFICIAL ear cropping/tail docking debate thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Maximus » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:26 pm

JaquelineC wrote:If you don't believe in something - Fine! Don't! But don't force your beliefs onto me or decide I'm a 'bad person' because I don't feel the same way you do!

Bingo!

I personally like the natural look, but damn I've seen some striking dogs with beautiful crop jobs! RedCrown's Tyranny comes to mind. Both my dogs were rescues at an age too late to even consider it. Actually, no, Chico was young enough (14 weeks), but it was part of our rescue contract that we wouldn't.

But I don't think anyone here is advocating making cropping/docking illegal... are they? That would certainly change the conversation.

(I'm shameless! :tongue: )
Maximus

Postby blover27 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:30 pm

(I'm shameless! )

troublemaker lol
blover27

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Postby carlinneworleans » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:31 am

I wonder if i could pose a small question. How many people on this board that are against ear cropping have tattoos, peircings etc. Even though you are not chopping anything off you are altering, or some say mutilating your body for purely cosmetic reasons. Some may not like it but it looks good to you right. So i say as long as you aren't doing it for some mundane reason or trying to do it yourself. crop away. it has been going on for ever. Take your puppy to a reputable vet and take care of them when they get home or those ears could become infected just like that belly ring, ear ring, tatto, tongue ring etc.
carlinneworleans

anti cropping brigade

Postby carlinneworleans » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:35 am

hey watch out if you live in california the anticropping brigade is going strong. I hear a bill is being swished through that would make cropping a misdemeanor.
carlinneworleans

Postby chynnasmom » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:33 am

adoptAshelterPit wrote:i have piercings and i would never get my dog's ears cropped. first of all, when you get a piercing/tattoo, YOU are making that decision. YOU are choosing to "mutilate yourself"
i dont have a problem with people that crop their dog's ears, i just wouldnt put a dog under anesthesia if it wasnt necessary. anesthesia can be dangerous and i just dont think that it is worth it for cosmetic reasons. some dogs look great with cropped ears, but i just see the point of chopping your dog's ears off.

kudos!!!
I fully agree. It was MY decision to get tattoed. I have never seen a dog ask to please, please crop my ears! I showed argentine dogos for yrs. it was a pitiful site after the ear cropping. The breeder that I get my dogos from now will only crop the ears of the dogs she will show. Unfortunately, they still have to have cropped ears to show. But times they are a changin'!!! Where I live it is VERY hard to find a vet that will still crop. And, it will cost you about $200 or more.
chynnasmom
Matured Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:24 pm

I plan to get a tatoo in the future, but I would NEVER crop a dog's ears.

It is MY body and MY choice.
With ear cropping it is THEIR body but OUR choice.
Like other said, I don't see a dog saying "please crop my ears, i'll look so cool"

people say dogs aren't in pain after cropping...yes they are..but people pump them full of pain meds so the dog will be happy, or even if you don't give the dog pain meds the dog won't show the pain cause dogs are notorious for hiding their pain.

the only reason I don't want cropping and docking banned is because I know more and more people(ignorant people) will do it themselves with scissors or a razor blade or whatever.

With docking...many many people say it doesn't hurt, but I watched a litter of JRT pups get docked and they SCREAMED AND CRIED the whole way out the door and then some, i could hear them when they were in the CAR and I was in the vet office!
maybe these pups were just sensitive, but after seeing that, i could never ever condone docking.
AllAmericanPUP

Postby blover27 » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:52 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:i have piercings and i would never get my dog's ears cropped. first of all, when you get a piercing/tattoo, YOU are making that decision. YOU are choosing to "mutilate yourself"
i dont have a problem with people that crop their dog's ears, i just wouldnt put a dog under anesthesia if it wasnt necessary. anesthesia can be dangerous and i just dont think that it is worth it for cosmetic reasons. some dogs look great with cropped ears, but i just see the point of chopping your dog's ears off.

i had something chopped off of me...i did not choose it and probably wouldnt have done it had i had a vote :)) doesnt make me hate or resent my parents...whats the big deal? its purely cosmetic and i have no recollection of it...thankfully :))
blover27

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:56 pm

it is my understanding that cirumcision(sp?)prevents infections from happening later in the mans life, is this true or no?

if it is, then cirumcision is not totally cosmetic like ear cropping.
AllAmericanPUP

Postby Maximus » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:15 am

Circumcision is totally cosmetic (or cultural, such as in the Jewish faith).

This thread sprung from a past cropping thread:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... rcumcision
Maximus

Postby blover27 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:20 am

AllAmericanPUP wrote:it is my understanding that cirumcision(sp?)prevents infections from happening later in the mans life, is this true or no?

if it is, then cirumcision is not totally cosmetic like ear cropping.

i dont believe thats true..in fact if anything it is the opposite
blover27

Postby carlinneworleans » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:09 am

come on people we make choices for our dogs everyday! they usually can't make them for themselves. If they could i am sure a lot more dogs would not be on kibbles!!!! :)) (kibbles vs. burgers the big debate). All this debating is wonderful and could go on forever.
carlinneworleans

Postby carlinneworleans » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:31 am

hey we all have beautiful dogs here!!!!!!cropped or uncropped. (i am a parent of both). We have to make choices for our dogs for the entire period we are blessed to know them. Some people may not agree with some of the choices we make for our dogs. As long as you are okay with the choices you make for your loved one, make it and live on. Just don't be inhumane and unkind. ( another argument altogether What is inhumane vs. what is not). :)) Pardon me i am in law school and we are being taught to argue about everything. In nice terms they call it debating!!! :thumbsup: i am sure we all love our dogs and would not due anything to purposely hurt them. CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG

PUT AN END TO THE ENDLESS DEBATE!
p.s this is from those of us with and without ears!! :))
carlinneworleans

lighter side of things

Postby carlinneworleans » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:40 am

hey on the lighter side of things what kind of food would you recommend for a 18month 80 pounder and a 36 month old 36 pounder. I have been feeding proplan performance (vet recommended). I have been recently introduced to the fact that proplan sucks. Hey i am down in the south so i am pretty limited to what i am capable of getting. anyone hear any good things about diamond. two very active girls . sorry about posting this in this thread but i thought i would get some good advice because this is a busy thread.
carlinneworleans

Postby Ann » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:10 pm

I love ears :inlove: They are expressive, cute, and aerodynamic. What's not to love?
Ann

Postby mnp13 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:01 pm

AllAmericanPUP wrote:With docking...many many people say it doesn't hurt, but I watched a litter of JRT pups get docked and they SCREAMED AND CRIED the whole way out the door and then some, i could hear them when they were in the CAR and I was in the vet office!
maybe these pups were just sensitive, but after seeing that, i could never ever condone docking.

I'm going to guess they were docked by a vet without the benefit of anestetic?

Farmers have docked tails for literally hundreds of years using banding. That's the way most breeders do it as well. The tail is banded with a heavy rubber band when the dog is a day or two old. The pup is growing so fast at that point that in a matter of days the band has cut off all circulation and feeling to the end of the tail. It is then just a matter of snipping the end off. They don't feel much because the nerves are not fully formed at the time if the banding. It barely even bleeds.

My father worked at a vet and told me a few horror stories about how they vet he worked with did tails. It is gruesome.

It is FAR less traumatizing when it is done with a band in the frist few days of life.

Michelle
mnp13

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues