Healthy House Cleaning (Long but food for thought)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Linariel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:21 pm

I use a quarter cup per 3 gallons or so. I just use my bathtub, as it is really close to the only linoleum in my house, and my mop doesn't fit in most buckets.

I just run some hot water, enough to give the mop a good swish in, and add one good squirt of soap.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby JCleve86 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:31 pm

concreterose wrote:
Boo439 wrote:So what am I supposed to do as a hospital worker? Wash my hands with lemons and vinegar? I'd be fired in a heart beat. No sarcasm intended, just curious. Anti-bacterial stuff may be "VERY VERY bad" but not everyone has a choice in the matter.

Of course a hospital situation is very different than your home. I understand that completely and understand that it is totally out of your control!

I know this is an oooooold comment, but had to reply. Instead of using antibacterial products in hospital type environments, plenty of places can (and it is actually reccomended that they DO) use antiseptics. (For example, hand sanitizer instead of anti-B soap.) Antibacterials are supposed to kill bacteria, but some will inevitably survive (those that are resistant) and continue to thrive. Antiseptics kill in a different way and wipe out EVERYTHING, so NOTHING can survive (even the little bacterial bastards that have evolved to be resistant to certain antimicrobials).

That said there are SOME bugs that are resistant to just about everything save uber sterilizing methods (those that work in hospitals probably know the terms...can't recall at the moment)...there's not a whole lot you can do to address those, but as a general rule we don't encounter those except in very, very rare cases in our homes anyway. And even if you did, the much loved antibacterial products wouldn't do shiza.
JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby EagleEye » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:46 pm

Do you know if undiluted white vinegar can act as an antiseptic?

I'm using up the last bit of antibacterial dish soap I have in the kitchen and was planning on finding a brand w/o the antibacterual stuff in it (if that's possible anymore) or using something else to wash my meat cutting board and butchering knives. Would vinegar work?
EagleEye

Postby Linariel » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:46 pm

Actually very hot water and regular soap works just as well as anything antibacterial, antiseptic, or antimicrobial. (In a home environment, I'm not talking a hospital with killer bugs)

I believe that is according to the FDA.

Most dish soaps I have used are not antibacterial.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby EagleEye » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:11 am

Lin, might I ask which brand of non-antibacterial dish soap you use? It seems that all the brands that my grocery store carries has this stuff in it. Maybe I should look on the bottom shelf?

Here are a couple of interesting links on vinegar.

In the FAQ box at the bottom of the page, the FDA states that alcohol and vinegar kill bacteria:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/a2z-b.html

The Vinegar Institute's site with exhaustive list of uses for vinegar:
http://www.versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html

I have poison ivy growing near the house. I'm going to try pouring full strength vinegar on it and see if it works.
EagleEye

Postby Linariel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:50 pm

I use Method.

The label doesn't specifically state that it is *not* antibacterial. So I suppose I just assumed that the regular stuff didn't include any antibacterial ingredients.

I can't seem to find the ingredients online, though.

I used to use Palmolive, until I found out in contains formaldehyde.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby jaygirl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Sun and Earth Dish soap can be easily found in supermarkets or online. It's natural and non-anti-bacterial...

http://www.sunandearth.com/productspage.aspx
jaygirl
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Linariel » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:18 pm

Have you tried that kind before? It looks good.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby EagleEye » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Sun & Earth does look good! The dish soap is hypoallergenic, too. Although I doubt our regular grocery store carries it, I might be able to pick some up at the food co-op or Whole Foods.
EagleEye

Postby Linariel » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:15 pm

I found drugstore.com carries method products, *cheaper* than the method website, and everyday free shipping on any order.

They also have Cloud Nine all natural pet shampoo.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby jaygirl » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Have you tried that kind before? It looks good.

Yes... It's pretty good too. But I must admit I only buy it when it's on sale. :))
jaygirl
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Linariel wrote:I use Method.

The label doesn't specifically state that it is *not* antibacterial. So I suppose I just assumed that the regular stuff didn't include any antibacterial ingredients.

I can't seem to find the ingredients online, though.

I used to use Palmolive, until I found out in contains formaldehyde.

Oh no...I use Palmolive! Where did you find this out...do you have a link or ingredient list? It's listed as safe in the book I have.

EagleEye wrote:I'm using up the last bit of antibacterial dish soap I have in the kitchen and was planning on finding a brand w/o the antibacterual stuff in it (if that's possible anymore) or using something else to wash my meat cutting board and butchering knives. Would vinegar work?

I use hot water and vinegar to wipe down surfaces. I mainly use an all purpose cleaner I make...don't know if I listed the recipe at the beginning of this thread, but I'll list it again. Cleans great!

In a spray bottle add:

12-16 oz of hot water
1 teaspoon Borax
2 tbsp white vinegar
Shake well to dissolve the Borax
Add 1/4 cup of liquid castille soap (I use Dr. Bronners Almond because I love how it smells)
If you want, add 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil...I use a combination of lemon oil and bergamont, or lemon oil and lavender or sweet orange oil

If I wipe off a table when there's company, I usually get a bunch of questions asking what kind of cleaner that I use that smells so good and I wind up making them a bottle lol
concreterose
Regulator

Postby Linariel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 pm

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety ... LIQUID.htm

It is not an ingredients list per say, but a Material Safety Data Sheet.
Down at the very bottom, it says "Special precautions"
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby concreterose » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:12 pm

Linariel wrote:http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety/MSDS/PALMOLIVE%20DISHWASHING%20LIQUID.htm

It is not an ingredients list per say, but a Material Safety Data Sheet.
Down at the very bottom, it says "Special precautions"

Thanks! They sell Method at the Target here. I'll have to pick up a bottle of their dish detergent.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby EagleEye » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:44 pm

CR, I made some of the all-purpose cleaner today with lemon and lavender oil and Almond Dr. Bronner's. It smells wonderful! Thanks again for the recipes.

I'll be on the look-out for Method dishsoap today, too.
EagleEye

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues