starting a rescue

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

starting a rescue

Postby texas pit stop » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:13 pm

Hey guys, I need some tips on how to go about starting up a rescue for pit bulls in my area of southeast Texas. I contacted the Humane society representative and gave him my name and home and work #'s. I dont think there are that many pit's that get thrown away out here in the country, but I can't abide the idea that good dogs are being destroyed without cause. The rep told me that the "board" he works under has two principle personalities on it. One doesn't think ANY dog should be destroyed except as a last resort, and the other thinks Pit Bull's should all be destroyed.
texas pit stop

Postby Hooligan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:51 pm

How big is Woodville? Even in the small town I was in there were far too many pits in the pound.
Are you going to try to set one up yourself...like at your own home?
Hooligan

rescue

Postby texas pit stop » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:13 pm

Woodville has a population of approximately 3000 people. Very rural area. Pit bull fighting is almost a way of life for some of the people around here, so unfortunately not that many end up in the shelter according to the guy from the Humane Society.
I have about 7 acres that is about 3 miles outside of the town I live in,and that is where I can build a place for them.
I found out that the Humane society in Beaumont is the closest thing to a rescue in our area and that is over an hour south. I just want to do anything I can to preserve the A.B.P.T.
texas pit stop

Re: rescue

Postby Hooligan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:26 pm

texas pit stop wrote:Woodville has a population of approximately 3000 people. Very rural area. Pit bull fighting is almost a way of life for some of the people around here, so unfortunately not that many end up in the shelter according to the guy from the Humane Society.
I have about 7 acres that is about 3 miles outside of the town I live in,and that is where I can build a place for them.
I found out that the Humane society in Beaumont is the closest thing to a rescue in our area and that is over an hour south. I just want to do anything I can to preserve the A.B.P.T.

Have you contacted the lady at Spindletop? She's in Texas and I think could give you all the ins and outs of it....esp. since you are int he same state.

Yeah the town I lived in was about 1200 and pit and cock fights were a very common thing.
Hooligan

rescue

Postby texas pit stop » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:43 pm

Thanks for the tip about Spindletop. I found her website. I will be contacting her for information about what is involved in getting started.
texas pit stop

rescue

Postby texas pit stop » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:48 pm

Thank you Littlefoot for the excellent information! I see there is a lot more to it than I at first estimated. Not backing up, just got some work to do before I can make it happen.
texas pit stop

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs