I think you're absolutely right. I definitely want to wait until he is healed and off his pain medicine. I would certainly bring Nini with me to NC as well. We are about 4 or so hours away. If they didn't get along off the bat, I'd be sad, but, of course, couldn't take him.
If Nini and Micro stopped getting along after I'd already gotten him, I'd be heartbroken, but would have to deal with it.