Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

Postby chris allen » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:56 pm

We were using the solid gold, and seems like a great food, but found our dog Lola to be gassy with it. We switched to innova and no problems since. Leroy loves it and Lola eats her share as well.
chris allen

Postby pitbullforever » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:02 pm

Mutt blood wrote:I can't stand the amount of corn-based foods that get sold in stores all over. Personally, I just switched from the Iams/Eukanuba companies(read what Diane Jessup has to say about their sponsorship of Animal Planet and the anti-pitbull programming on the channel). .
i just wanted you to know that i was watching a show on animal planet yesterday. (adoption tails or something like that) and the whole show was about a pit bull (and they called him a pit bull) who was rescued after being put in a freezer (alive) and left for dead by some major drug dealers and became a drug sniffing dog who later caught and put in jail that people that put him in the freezer. it was a great story brought tears to my eyes. they are getting better with pits i've seen other good things about pits on there too.
p.s. i feed my dog nurto. its a great food!!! he's 11 years old and still acting like a 1 year old :headbang:
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby Ann » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:27 pm

I love wellness, but it is bland (so I hear) and my dog stopped eating it. I put wet food in with it, and she still wasn't interested. I just switched to innova yesterday, she just gobbled it up! As with the raw food diet, I don't get it. I am a microbiologist, and wonder if anyone is concerned with food borne illness? It can and does happen to dogs, my uncle almost lost one of his dogs to it. I did do some internet research on it, and found one statement on food borne illness - that the acidity of a dogs stomach would kill the bacteria. Now that's just not true. I'd love to see more studies on the raw food diet, but still don't think I could be convinced.
:yucky:
Ann

Postby pitbullforever » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:38 pm

Ann wrote:I love wellness, but it is bland (so I hear) and my dog stopped eating it. I put wet food in with it, and she still wasn't interested. I just switched to innova yesterday, she just gobbled it up! As with the raw food diet, I don't get it. I am a microbiologist, and wonder if anyone is concerned with food borne illness? It can and does happen to dogs, my uncle almost lost one of his dogs to it. I did do some internet research on it, and found one statement on food borne illness - that the acidity of a dogs stomach would kill the bacteria. Now that's just not true. I'd love to see more studies on the raw food diet, but still don't think I could be convinced.
:yucky:

i agree with you 100% about the bone and raw food diet.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby toshma » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:42 pm

i'm picking up my 14 week old female this weekend ( :) ) and i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good puppy diet for her? i've been thinking about the nutro natural choice for her but everyone seems to be using something else, so maybe there's something better for her.
thanks a bunch from a first time apbt mom!
toshma

Postby pitbullforever » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 pm

toshma wrote:i'm picking up my 14 week old female this weekend ( :) ) and i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good puppy diet for her? i've been thinking about the nutro natural choice for her but everyone seems to be using something else, so maybe there's something better for her.
thanks a bunch from a first time apbt mom!

i feed my 11 year old dog nutro and he likes it a lot. i would def suggust it to anyone.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby kenix » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:35 pm

Stupid question, but Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb? Meaning, anything but lamb?
kenix

Postby toshma » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:27 pm

meaning lamb without hormones
:)
toshma

Postby pitbullforever » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:29 pm

yeah that means that its lamb food with no hormones injected into the food. :)
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Eagle Pack

Postby Loca » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:18 am

Has anyone tried Eagle Pack? Right now I feed my dogs Eukanuba, but I've heard Eagle Pack was better.
Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby AllAmericanPUP » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:57 pm

Eagle Pack Holistic is good food.
the other Eagle Pack are not worth the price

I don't trust the BARF diet..my friend knew a poodle breeder who lost 14 dogs to salmonella poison while feeding BARF.
just too many risks, imo
AllAmericanPUP

Postby pitbullforever » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:48 pm

14 dogs thats crazy!!!! i never trusted the barf diet either i don't have anything against ppl who have their dogs on it but i wouldn't trust it for my own dog.
pitbullforever
Forum Junky

Postby Boscoe13 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:36 pm

Good stuff to know here :thumbsup:

i been feeding my pup crappy food I guess :sad:
Pedigree; it hasn't been named but I think its not near the top of the list when it comes to quality.

I'll try Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed dry Puppy Food, since i think they sell it at petsmart. I would try barf but i'm kinda of a freak when it comes to salmonella and all that stuff, I do give him fruit as treats alot..

Also, any comment about food like;PEDIGREE; LITTLE CHAMPIONS HEALTHY START the POUCH that comes in many different flavors like chicken, beef etc.. [its got bits of chicken at least ithink it is? :huh?:]

Boscoe loves this stuff, but not sure how healthy it is; i usually mix it with his dry food since he wont eat plain dry food, he does poop hard and it is a dark color.

are the other ones sold at petsmart? I would love to get B in a healthier diet, and when changing the dog food do you guys do it slowly by 1st mixing it a few time and slowly removing the other type of food or do you guys just change it all at once
Boscoe13

Postby damienApbt » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:56 pm

Boscoe13 wrote:I'll try Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed dry Puppy Food, since i think they sell it at petsmart.

i was reading about puppy formulas. and found that a lot of them have lots of growth supplements that could be harmful for your dog. i wish i knew this when rod was a pup. i fed him iams largebreed puppy. not too long ago i posted pictures about rods confirmation. some one pointed out that his "pasterns" i think, were on an angle. either from over working at a young age or getting too big too fast and his bones couldnt handle it. the pasterns (or what ever that part is called) are the bones right above the feet. they should be almost perpendicular to the ground.

so basically rod got too big too fast and his bones didnt mature naturally.

so if you can find a high quality food than you can feed it to your puppy and into adulthood.

purina is pretty bad too. tons of starch and fillers.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Addy1423 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:03 am

Right now i am feeding my dog "Natures Best" puppy chow from Science Diet and from what I've read thats not the best. I am spending about 25 bucks on a 17.5 lb bag now Pets Mart has a 20 lb bag of Nutro's Natural Choice for 20 bucks, would that be the best bet or is that just as bad?
Addy1423
Matured Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues