Anyone in New England looking for a dog???

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Anyone in New England looking for a dog???

Postby turtle » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:05 pm

I got my young dog from this shelter a year and a half ago:

http://www.tjoconnor.net/tjoconnor.htm

They are in southern Mass. near Springfield. Please look at all the nice pit bulls needing homes on the web site.

They up-date the site each week and they do try but there is a flood of pits needing homes....
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Reese » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:34 pm

hey gf....

How come there are so many pits at this shelter and they seem to be all found wandering the streets? and why do they show the ones that were pts? very sad i wish i could give them all a safe and loving home...
Reese

Postby turtle » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:35 pm

Yes, there are tons of pit bulls at this shelter. This is a municipal shelter which covers something like 6 counties so they get a lot of dogs. And there seem to be a lot of pits on the streets. Springfield Mass. is a pretty big city. The shelter does not normally take owner surrenders so almost all the dogs are brought in by Animal Control.

One thing which surprised me when I adopted my own dog is that they let her out un-spayed (intact). I had to sign a contract saying I would have her spayed which of course I did, but the spay "deposit" was only $10. Seems like if it was more it would be a bigger incentive for the spay/neuter.

They try as much as they can with limited resources. I think there is a new shelter being built. It is sad to see how many are PTS but it is a reminder of how many dogs do NOT get homes these days. A sad memorial for that week until the next batch comes along. Most little dogs get adopted but sadly there is such an abundance of pits that they can not all find homes. They truly had some very nice dogs there.
turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs