URGENT: Bullies in Ontario need help now.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:09 pm

Are you in/arounf Onterio? If so, can you please get me as much info on Gin that is available? I have two dogs now, and I cannot take in a dog that is uncontrollably dog-aggressive. My dogs are one male one female... they are both VERY dog friendly, the male being 5 years old and a seasoned dog-park venturer... I am not set up to keep a dog permanantly seperated that cannot stand to look at eachother. Normal dog issues are no big deal for me to work with and though, but the insane dog aggression just wont work for me at this point in my life.

I have cats, but i can handle uncat safe dogs, again, if it is not completely insane. I think that Rosie would gladly eat a cat or two if I left them unattended.

And here is my biggest concern; I cannot have any dogs here that display ANY signs of aggression, dominance, or excessive shyness as I have a toddler son. The hyper-dog-that-could-knock-child-over issue is not a big deal, as I have two already. We just know how to work though and around that. But NO aggression or intolorance with humans can work, for safety sake.

Gin is beautiful and in the pictures reminds me very much of Rosie. I am very interested in learning more about him.... but I need to consider this very seriously before making any commitments. My husband is not opposed to doing fostering at this point, but I need to make sure that we are ready, and a unifide front if we are going to adopt another dog.

If the BSL becomes a very real issue and these dogs face euthaniasa, like, tomorrow, please do let me know. I will see if I can get some more rescues and fosters involved... It is just so hard to think of taking a dog that is not local since there is such a HUGE homeless pit problem right here, too... Gawd... the whole thing really wears on the soul, you know?!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:34 pm

We just moved a few months ago into a new house in a new city. If I was living where I was before now, I would have done it in a heart beat, as we had a lot of land outside of the city... I have a lot to do in order to feel comfortalbe having another dog here, but it is things that I was doing anyway as I was planning on being a foster parent to the pups here...

We have a very large yard, but the parts of the fence that are still up need taken down, and the whole yard needs refenced. With my two dogs, I jsut take them out on leash, and we go on jogs, walks, and bike rides a few times a day. But to add another dog I would feel more comfortable having a yard that they cna run in off leash to go potty and play a few times a day as well. Less stress for me - two is hard enough to keep up with without the use of a yard. I have a make-shift springpole, that Rosie is finally showing interest in. We do a lot of fetch, as well.

They can hang out with me in the yard off leash as long as I am activly playing with them, but this neighborhood is bad about having off-leash dogs roaming, and the fence would be protection from that as much as it would be containment. That is another reason why I cannot have a dog with uncontrolable dog aggression drive. Situational intolorance is one thing, but that DRIVE... you know what I mean...

There are a few things that I need to do with the actual house to feel less stressed with another cridder as well, but again, i am doing these things anyway. The idea of fostering has helped speed my pace, and this would be similar.

I have two cats that need to go into homes as well, as they are terrified of the dogs (we do a general small-time rescue and have four cats from our 40 cat rescue last July that still need homes)... that can happen fairly quickly as well, if I get my act together.

I guess what I am saying is that the dog would have to be the right dog, and there are some things that I would have to take care of first in order to feel more comfortalbe, and I still need to talk to my husband (who works out of town some days each week... So I probably will not see him til the weekend).... but it is a possibility
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby pocketpit » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:26 pm

Littlefoot and Sam,
If anyone could get Romeo and Juliet out to Washington I'd be happy to foster them.
In the meantime I'll see if it's possible to hook a more local rescue person up with them.
Has anyone here contacted the national SBT club here in the states?
pocketpit

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am

YAY GIN!!! :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

So, can you find out the info on ginger and victor for me for the same reasons?

I would be willing to donate a bit towards getting R and J to you.... Let me know if that becomes a reality....
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby pocketpit » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm

They would only take them if they are registered? :bully:
Since there is so much mislabeling going on I can understand not agreeing to take them until they can verify they are indeed SBT's but this is stupid.
I'll try to check into our local club or get some Canadian club contacts and see if anyone there can help.
pocketpit

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:12 pm

littlefoot wrote:Her email:

I'm willing to do what is necessary to place the dogs if they are Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Are they registered? This sounds cruel but I'm only funded to rescue Staff Bulls. Send me the info. If they are SBTs we will see them safe somewhere!
Ginny Antia
SBTA Rescue Chair

Maybe I am reading it wrong..but it sounds like they will only take them if they are registered right? Or do I need sleep??

She may want to know if they are registered just for the added bit of verification... but she does not come right out and say that they will not accept them if not registered. They do sound odd that they will reject so easily, but that they can basically promise to rescue and place them if they are "for sure" Staffy Bulls...

I say, e-mail her the pics, a great story about finding them as strays together, and say that the members of www.pitbullforum.com have taken a personal interest in the two and will do what we can to help assist their rescue in finding foster and forever homes... they just need pulled from where they are. If they are not reasonable with that then it is pointless to continue trying with that route. Being so concerned with "purity" worries me... they do not breed their rescues, do they?...
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby pocketpit » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:36 pm

I don't read that as she needs registration papers just good quality photos of the dogs to verify that they are indeed SBT's. They are a SBT rescue in connection with a club who's funds pay for what they do. Therefore the rescue must be SBT's. If they did rescue for other bully breeds they'd be up to their eyeballs in Pits like everyone else. They just a specialized breed rescue. Do a search on Petfinder and see just how many SBT's pop up. It's amazing the number of mislabeled dogs. Be it on purpose or lack of breed knowledge. If the shelter can get them good photos that show size of the dogs as well as physical characteristics it sounds like they will pull them.
pocketpit

Postby Pit_Luvs » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:27 pm

I wish i could help, being in Canada myself. If this was Nov, then i could help :( I hope they all find homes. There is one little fella at the Brampton SPCA that i would take in a heartbeat...his name is Lucky and he is beautiful.
If i can be of any help later on, give me a shout. Im in Nova Scotia and willing to help the pittys and staff's, but i cant adopt one having a male dog and 2 female pits. :(
Pit_Luvs

Postby K » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:49 am

Is there any news on Romeo and Juliet? :sad:
K

Postby K » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:44 pm

OH crap.... :((
K

Postby Spurby » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:13 pm

I can post their info the rescue list, though the Staffie rescue could just be busy arranging transport/foster? I am so surprised to see them in a shelter for so long, this never happens to this breed.. I wonder about their breeder as well, if we can find them, hardly any BYB staffies here.
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Spurby » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:38 pm

I'll let you know if i receive a response from any staffie rescue here, i posted it on the rescue list, sorry i didn't see this sooner.
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Spurby » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:19 pm

Yes, i am very busy with the BSL, esp with phone calls to local government/insurance, takes up plenty of time :)

Yes, i was with Barlee's for years, but i am no longer volunteering for them. I hear they are doing well. I do plan on staying connected with rescue, and have been in contact with one i highly respect :)

Thanks for the help with ontario APBT's :)
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pocketpit » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:45 am

Thank you Spurby AND Littlefoot for all the work you are doing to try and get these guys out of the shelter.
pocketpit

Postby Spurby » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:42 pm

Pocketpit, are you still interested in these 2 if rescue is unable to help them? I am not sure if they are able to help yet or not, but just in case they can't, it would be cool if they can still be pulled by someone experienced like yourself :)
Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs