Tail Sprain?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tail Sprain?

Postby moto1320 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:16 pm

Anyone else have this, Daisy was playing on her springpole today and was doing her alligator thing when all of the sudden she yelped, tucked her tail hard, started whining, and her back end went stiff. I was watching her at the time, no hard fall-or fall at all, she just rolled funny. She limped a couple of feet with both legs together, fell over and started nipping her tail up and down. I thought a fire ant got her on her butt or something since there was no accident I saw. Scared the crap out of me since she looked like she paralysed herself and I have never heard her even whimper. She layed there for a sec and I ran over to investigate and she flipped on her tummy and started with the kisses. Poor thing! After about 30 sec she hopped up and proceeded with some insane zoomies around the yard and kept playing. A vet student friend dropped by and asked about it right away due to a slightly odd way she was hanging her tail and said that her dog did this frequently, it didn't take much. Some asprin and a little time, no problem. I have never had a dog do this. Can she cause spinal damage bouncing around. I'm not going to stop her playing with the springpole but I want to know what to look for if she gets hurt and how to deal with it.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:16 pm

I do!

Angel did this exact same thing a year ago. Her tail is still bubbled up. Nothing you can do but let it heal.

I gave her aspirn for a few days but she was over it the second it happened. She didn't make a sound, went right back to playing, I was the one who freaked out. I asked several people about it and found it's quite common for dogs that play on the pole.

I lowered it down a little bit so she wouldn't have to jump so high to get it. Hasn't happened again.

As for spinal damage I'm not sure. No one ever mentioned it to me when I took her to the vet to make sure it wasn't broken.
jmann4

Postby moto1320 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:10 am

Thanks Jmann. I hope it doesn't happen again. She is such a goon on that thing! I looked under the porch yesterday to see what she was doing, just in enough time to see her sliding in the dirt past me on her back, all fours spread, hanging on to the tug. lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby sam » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:40 pm

One of my old foster dogs liked to chase her tail, and occasionally would grab ahold of it and sprain her own tail. (yep she was one silly monster). It would be sore for a wee bit, but would heal up just fine (and she would keep on chasing it anyways).
hope that she heals up soon!
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pitifullove » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:53 am

My girl has messed her tail up quite a few times. I took her to the vet the first two times they said it was broken but theres not a lot to do about it. So I just left it alone and after a day or so she was back to waggin it full swing.
pitifullove

Return to Health Issues