2 APBT's in need of temp home in NJ

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

2 APBT's in need of temp home in NJ

Postby X-girl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:45 pm

OK, I just got some preliminary info on 2 APBT’s that are in need of a long-term foster home while their home is being renovated. Here’s what I know…

- 1 male, “Romeo”, 4 years old, neutered – he’s large, approximately 75 lbs. :doggie:
- 1 female, “Precious”, 3 years old, spayed – she is described as “little” :dog:
- Dogs cannot be split up! :doggie: :inlove: :dog:
- Owner is an elderly woman and her son is trying to get these dogs a long-term/temp place to stay while his mother’s home in the Journal Square area of Jersey City is being remodeled.
- Both dogs are described as “very sweet” but need some basic obedience skills/manners and could use some socialization with other dogs for good measure. For instance, I understand that the male will sit for food but jumps to greet people. They have a yard at their disposal so they could also use some leash training. :run:
- The woman does not want to lose these dogs, so the goal is to place them while the home is being renovated. When the renovations are complete, the son would like to find a live-in companion for his mom that could help her care for these pets.
- We believe the son will assist with costs of their care while being fostered because what he’s looking at doing right now is long-term boarding. 8(

I heard of this situation from a woman who is actively involved with rescue (any breed) and she needs all the help she can get to make this situation turn out for the best – both for dogs and people. I believe she is going to try to get me a picture to post but I’m not sure when that will be.

If anyone has any questions – post them and I will do my best to get you answers. If any rescue pros have helpful suggestions – please post them! :thumbsup:
X-girl
Regulator

Postby Maryellen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:33 pm

why does this woman have to find temporary housing while her house is being remodeled?? is she moving out too? not many rescues have the space for boarding the dogs. why doesnt the son board them at a kennel? they could board them at the Pet Spa here in Hardyston NJ for a super cheap deal, and they are very pit friendly. most foster homes are needed for foster dogs,not boarding dogs . just my 2 cents. the number to the pet spa is 973-827-8881 and they are listed on the web. the people have to have the dogs's bordetella and vaccines up to date. something doesnt sound right here.
Maryellen

Postby X-girl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:45 pm

The woman is relocating to an apartment while the home is being remodeled. Truth is, her son feels she can no longer handle these dogs by herself but the woman refuses to rehome them. The need for the temporary relocation is twofold - the remodel (the house is being completely redone so we're not talking a 2 week type of thing) and it will give the son time to find a live-in companion for his mom when she returns to the home.

I can't vouch for the legitimacy of these people but I can say that the woman trying to help them is quite honorable. She is my friend's neighbor and asked my friend to mention the situation to me because she met Lola at a BBQ over the summer and know's I am an APBT enthusiast. I truly don't think there is anything fishy going on here - AT ALL. The woman who knows these people first-hand does not want to see these dogs boarded for such a long period of time. I happen to agree with her.

I realize foster homes are needed everywhere but what makes these guys not deserve a chance at all? The point is not to foster them while waiting for a new permanent home, it's to return them to their owner. The son is trying to find a situation that's better than boarding them. I don't really see a problem with it. If I had the space, I wouldn't have even posted this here because I would have just taken them.
X-girl
Regulator

Postby Maryellen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm

as long as you know the woman who asked, and everything is legit, then i commend the son for wanting to help the dogs and his mom. however, trying to find a foster home might be a little difficult. but, if the son is willing to pay "board,food" for the dogs in a foster home,that might make it work. its very hard right now for the pits out there in shelters, as the rescues have overflowing pits in foster homes, and everyone can only do so much. if you can find a foster home to take both of them MAKE SURE the foster home signs an agreement that this is a BOARDING issue only, not a placement issue. make sure the son gets a copy, and make sure the son knows where the dogs are going to be and checks up on them at least every week to see how they are doing (plus he could pay the foster home weekly for their care). make sure whoever fosters them is reputable and a good person. you dont want him to take a chance and wind up with two dogs that came out not looking like they went in. there is no way the 2 dogs can be split up at all? if they can, that would probably make it better for them in the long run with 2 fosters maybe. can the son maybe take one dog? or is his living situation not good either?? does he have any coworkers who love and understand pits to take them or one of them?? if the womans house is being remodeled the dogs will probably need foster care for at least 3 months or more. try to make it more appealing, like food and medical care will be provided by owner, weekly payments for care, etc.
Maryellen

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs