clipping nails

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

clipping nails

Postby Tally TransAm » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:57 pm

my dog wont let me clip her nails. when i try its the only time she ever growls at me. she doesnt really bite me when i do it, more a little nip to say hey your better stop cause im getting pissed. shes getting to big for my roommate to hold her down while i do it so its becoming an issue. i dont know why either, ive never clipped her nails to short or anything, she is just terrified of the clippers

the only way i can clip her nails now is to sneek up on her when shes sleeping and clip like two at a time before she realizes what is going on

any tips
Tally TransAm
Newborn Bully

Postby jmann4 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:15 pm

My youngest Honey is the same way, she freaks out everytime I try to cut her nails. I called it the clip and run game. I clip, then she runs, I chase, I clip, she runs, I chase, etc...

What I did was hold the clippers but I wouldn't clip her nails. I would hold them, let her see them, touch her feet, then put the clippers up and go about the day.

We've gotten to the point where she will let me clip all the nails on one foot and then she takes off. Still 3 more feet to go but it worked for the first one.

Bascially, make the process as stress free as possible.

Question, is she like this when you touch her feet? Or just when you try to clip her nails?
jmann4

Postby Tally TransAm » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:30 pm

just when the clippers are in my hand

i can play with her feet all i want. in fact when this first started a while ago i used to play with her feet on purpose when we were like sitting on the couch watching tv so she would kinda get used to it. but no luck. bad thing is now i always find myself messing with her feet outta habit.
Tally TransAm
Newborn Bully

Postby jmann4 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:35 pm

Try playing with her feet with the clippers in your hand. It may take a while for her to get used to it, but once she learn's you aren't going to clip her nails she should calm down.
jmann4

Postby damienApbt » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:23 pm

i live in the city so i my dogs on pavement all the time. they file down naturally that way. saves me the hassel too. but during the winter when i didnt take him on long walks as much they did get a bit long. i just made an appointment at a doggy salon to get them done. they love pit bulls there. they charged only $5 each for nails ears and teeth. so it was only 15 bucks together. he was great with them. although it is embarassing when requesting off from work because your pit bull has an appointment at the salon. :oops:

i always have a hard time doing it. when my mom cuts his nails, hes as cool as a cucomber. i dont know how she does it, may be they just like the motherly touch. her whole family brings their pets to her when they need clipping. i swear she could cut the nails off a wild cat if she wanted to.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:33 pm

Though Daisy doesn't mind the clipping. I use the "urban nail file" too. Take a bully past campus on walk where all of the squirells are, dog on sidewalk, hold-on for 20 seconds...and Voila. Perfecto. :tongue:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby concreterose » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:23 pm

Vicki hates getting her nails clipped too...but she LOVES treats. So I clip a nail (REAL FAST) give her a treat, clip a nail (she runs) I lure her back with a treat, clip, she slicks her ears and bolts, show her the treat, she slinks back, one more down... (get my drift?) lol
concreterose
Regulator

Postby LiLgqgirL » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:47 pm

Me & kaz have not done LiLo's nails ourselves. The most recent time we took her in and got it done, and of course there happen to be 1 nail that was cut short, and later that evening she must of bumped it and was bleeding all over the carpet, ANYWAY my question is sorta OT not sure where to post this sucker, but what things/products or home remidies have you guys used to get blood stains out of the carpet!??? :huh?:
LiLgqgirL

Postby bullymeena » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:22 pm

my dogs nails are so long and she is always running around the house getting exercised and her nails scratch us all. she is 4 mo. and cant stand to get her nails clipped. it feels like i may be clipping to close so i am leary about how far to clip. help?
bullymeena

Postby addy's daddy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:17 pm

the sidewalk is the best way, it really works and wont get them too short.

its weird cuz my 2nd Luther HATED trimming but after a few years, when he was out of the 'puppy stage' he had no problem with it.

baths were another story, however.
addy's daddy

Postby Anshey » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:35 pm

My dogs use to hate their nails to get cut, but I started rubbing peanut butter all over their face and they are so into getting the peanut butter they forget about the nails. I stole this idea from a ferret book, I used to have a ferret and it works on them to.
Anshey

Postby mnp13 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:00 pm

I ambush Ruby while she's sleeping. I usually get a foot done before she's paying attention. Then I calm her down and do one more nail, then calm her down and do one more nail...

She never gets mad, but she gets frantic and I will not disipline her to make her sit still, so this is the only way to do it. What's really funny is when I get her to sit and let me do it she turns her head away... she just can't bear to watch.... lol

Michelle
mnp13

Postby barbponys » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:24 pm

I don't have any trouble with the Sasha, the pug on the other hand is a bear and a half to clip. Denny won't do the clipping part so he gets the joy of holding him and getting ripped up. He's a strong little sucker and boy does he fight. I worry about him having a heart attack or something. I finally decided to get a dremel and he seems to do much better with that. It also gets the nails short super fast and I don't have to worry about blood. I have no idea what happened to him in his previous two lives but he sees the nail clippers and runs.

I did Garions nails the other day and aside from pulling a bit he was fine with it. I'm considering getting him used to the dremel too, much quicker and no sharp edges :bowdown:

Pat
barbponys
Health Guru

Postby cisom » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:04 am

Liesel is almost 8 months old now and we clip her nails every week or two. She has never let us do this calmly. You would think after 40-50 nail clipping sessions she would be used to it. I hold her in my lap on her back and my daughter has a piece of string cheese burried in her hand so that just the tip is exposed and she plants it in front of Liesel's nose. Liesel has to really concentrate to get any of the cheese, so she's pretty distracted, but I have to be quick. I get the quick once in awhile, because she yanks her paw out of my grasp. Styptic powder or pads take care of bleeding nails. Our old Weimaraner used to lay down beside me and fall asleep when I cut her nails, I don't think Liesel will ever get to that point. Oxy-Clean will remove blood stains.
cisom
Matured Bully

Postby Laurier » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:57 am

Clipping nails here is a two person job. My mother feeds Buster carrots (they take a while to chew) so he is distracted, then I quickly go through and clip as many nails as I can. Lola on the other hand is so frightened that even treats won't keep her from running off, so we get about 2 done on her each session over a couple of days.
Laurier

Next

Return to Health Issues