EXTREMELY URGENT!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Postby PitBullPride » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Where is he located? Man, he's georgous too. I wonder if they tried clomicalm or acepromazine...that sucks though.
PitBullPride

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:34 pm

Tell her to buy a fizzle crate
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby GreddysAngel » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:34 pm

Wow he is BEAUTIFUL!
GreddysAngel
Addicted to PBF

Postby aaron kahn » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:34 pm

very handsome dog!

one of our fosters managed to chew out of a plastic crate- over a couple months, but has turned into a well-adjusted, happy dog. we gound a GREAT family, and they worked hard to help Gidget learn that she is in a stable environment!

good luck.
aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:38 pm

I didn't realize that tere was an auto language cleaner on this forum ... (shows how much I cuss..)

for the record... I did not say "flipping"...

Geez... he is 5 years old. I am assuming that he has been with her for five years... She is ready to have the dog put to sleep, but she has not tried a crate?! How 'bout taking him for a 20 minute bike ride before she goes to work, and put him in his crate tired, with a knog?!

Prozack does not fix lifestyle.

Or yeah... just kill him...

(smoldering)

And yes, he is very VERY beautiful...
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:44 pm

Well... I griev for that dog. POOR PUP! Abandoned?! Sheesh...

I suggest that she buy a crate, exercise the fizzle outta the pup, and contact Pit Bull rescues to assist in rehoming while she continues to foster...

Poor dog...
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Maryellen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:50 pm

she cant bring him to work with her can she?? she must be from my area. you say he has severe sep anxiety? there was a woman who called me about her pit about a little over a month ago, he had separation issues and he would break out of her house and every crate she put him in. iwonder if this is the same dog???
Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:12 am

sorry chea, all i know is the dog is a male, he jumped out her windows in her house when she would go to work, she told me she has/had her bf take the dog to work an the dog sits in the truck all day and is supposedly fine, but that they cant leave him home. i have no idea what his name is or what color he is, or the age. i ran into the woman at the hospital where rufus does his therapy. if i see her again i will make sure to ask her how the dog is to see what she says. i am going to the hospital this weekend, so hopefully she will be there as she has a friend that works there and thats how she found out about me, she wanted help with him.
Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:39 am

all i know is her friend works at the hospital, i forgot what her friends name was, it was a 973 phone number, and i know she had 2 pits., one that i think looked like rufus, brindle, but i dont know what the other one looked like. i think her name was mary or ann or something close to that. i spent 2 hours withher on the phone, and was going to do a home visit to work with her when she told me she was goingto have the dog euthanized as he kept getting out of the house and running thru the neighborhood and chased workers off her property. i am sorry i cant remember. i dont have her number anymore either. if i see her friend this weekend at the hospital i will askher how her friends dog is
Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:08 am

did they say what town they were from??? the woman who i spoke to lived either in newton or near it, as she met me at the hospital once. she had brown hair and was tall. what did these people looklike??
Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:20 am

unless the woman i know gave her dog to someone else....
Maryellen

Postby Kirstan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:40 pm

He is pretty.

I think acupuncture and herbs help severe separation anxiety better than ace/prozac/ whatever else will torture the liver; but, I think it helps most stuff. It's not a cure-all but it can help immensely, especially when combined with a TON of exercise. Separation anxiety in it's 'explosive' form is so very hard to deal with - there are dogs who can't be crated, kenneled, left at home, in the car, anywhere - living that way is torture for them. I'm not saying it can't be worked through but it's certainly tough to deal with even in it's milder form.

I really hope they get help for him; but, if they can't, I really hope they don't leave him at the shelter to experience it again before they euth him, you know?

k.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby duckzilla » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:57 am

Chea... what does that mean? they kept him??????????
duckzilla

Postby caped dog » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:45 am

Couple of things are jumping off the page...

Chea- you love him, but can you say you truly evaluted him? Is all this angst possibly for a dog that is not particularly re-home-able? ie, re-direction aggression? fear ggression? food aggression, etc etc.

Separation anxiety is in degrees of severity and likely he was never left alone combine with the abandonment combine with...Perhaps it is further reduced by bio-chemical components= why people run to the meds. (but I agree the homeopathics might work wonders) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/N ... 001+113628

here's some articles. http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applie ... xiety.html

What the finder needs and what this dog needs may be in too great of conflict. A full evaluation might clear things up a little. And a realistic approach to their needs/limits. And a realisitc plan for the dog- is he happy when he's panicking? Is there a foster spot for him to be treated to the routine/mundane and the commitment/resources? SInce I'm not volunteering, and I don't hear anyone else volunteering, then who are we to judge their next move. We can support like crazy but that may not be enough. A drop at the shelter would be hell on him. A vet euthansia would be preferrable to the trauma of it.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:24 pm

adoptAshelterPit wrote:i posted his pictures and info to see if there was anyone who would be willing to help this poor dog. i tried to do anything i could to find help for him. but unfortunatly his next step will probably be euthanasia.

I'm so glad you were there to be the reality check for this family. I did not realize they had him so long... bummer.

Why I asked the extent of your eval, adoptAshelter pit, was because I was concerned that a desperate and ill-informed person may gravitate to the cause - not that you are such a person. A big issue for the breed is inappropriate rescue by people who don't know and understand its nuances. I see people make aggregious errors in responsible rescue.. mis-labeling pits as something else entirely, teaching un-truths "its all in how you raise him" and making excuses for negaitve behavior or not fully evaluating behavior. I reserve my cries for help to dogs that I have fully evaluated and am darn sure about. That is why I won't post any dog I have not met... I don't want to be the conduit that connects bad dog and bad rescuer/bad home.

The pit bull is a complex and wonderful creature and when I eval a pit for an all-breed rescue and say " I would not rescue this dog for these very good reasons..." and they take the animal anyway-and go on to promote untruths I just feel...well, f****d and I don't know what else I can do to protect that dog and the breeds image... I have learned that rescuers are not created equal and to think long and hard before sharing a project with one. Pit bull people seem to get it... all breed rescuers who "love pit bulls" are the ones I seem to have problems with. I think sometimes we get so excited about having an alternative to euthanasia that we forget the big picture... and why not? some days the big picture is extraordinarily grim.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs