Monte needs help - American Bulldog people???

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Monte needs help - American Bulldog people???

Postby Kirstan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 pm

Hey, I know this belongs in rescue but it was there with no response so I thought I'd try general to see if someone can come up with a lead for us.

We took in an American Bulldog from Yakima - that one who had the gash on his neck. He's healing WELL, is neutered, very sweet, very untrained, 90# and ready to go into foster or a new home. IHe seems to do o.k. with other dogs so far, is about a year old, and looks fondly at cats though a little too fondly for my comfort. Is anyone aware of anyone I should contact besides Sara in Idaho. I've contacted Andrea and Martha in San Diego and they can take him if I can get him down there - I've got no fosters for him since everyone is full up with these lovely pit bulls still in foster and looking for their forever homes.

Ideas GREATLY appreciated.

k.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:11 pm

I could foster if it were the "right" dog, leaving more of your fosters available to help Monte...

I could also make a donation to assist with travel expenses if you do make a plan to get him to CA....
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby BabyReba » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:40 pm

Is Sara in Idaho ABR? I have a friend in Pennsylvania with ABR, I was going to ask her if she had any NW contacts, but I'm thinking that it sounds like you've already contacted their NW person.

And Martha is Operation K9?

Two things you might try if you haven't already: Post to Molosser Talk, which can be found at http://www.moloss.com. Lots of AB folks post there.

A lot of folks on the board are breeders, but you occasionally will stumble across people able to offer advice/suggestions/help in rescue topics.

Also, try posting to http://members4.boardhost.com/NABRA/

I cannot vouch for the folks who turn up at these sites to help with dogs since it's a public board, but they both attract AB folks, so it might get him some exposure.

Please keep me posted on his progress--I love ABs. I wish I could do more to help. And please, please make sure if you turn him over to another rescue that you check and double-check that rescue for references and home visits, etc. We get the same kind of scumbags in AB rescue as pit bull rescue . . . I'm sure you know this already, but these days I feel like you can never be too careful.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby Kirstan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:46 pm

Yep,

Sara is ABR and Martha is OpK9. If I can raise the funds to get him to SD, I'll do it.

I'll post on other boards but I'm not thrilled with turning him over to a rescue I don't know and most of them I know (at least know of) on the W. Coast. It's scary to turn over a dog these days. He's a DOLL. My husband is desperate to keep him but, it's not in the cards for us.

Steph - I'm getting you that list tonight. I swear. I still don't have anyone who can take this dog even in foster. Most foster I have are pretty comfortable with the size/temperament of the pit bulls and 90# is pushing it most houses.

I'll keep you updated.

Will you please crosspost this for me? My email is kirstan@bullseyerescue.org or three_bulldogs@hotmail.com for a contact address. Hugely appreciated if you can!

k.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:06 pm

Has he shown any aggression, fear, dominance, etc. issues that would make you sketch about having him with a young child? And how is he, like in detail, with other dogs? Is he healthy enough to go running? I MAY be able to do some SHORt term fostering for him while we group together and find placement. I have the space now for another dog. I was set to foster for ya anyway... granted I was set on a APBT.. but hey.... Lets talk....

Possibly I can assist in teaching him some obedience and manners, exercise, play, etc... and then we can work on getting him to CA or into a home.

I am open to the option.

And I will make a donation if that would help.

That is a lot of dog for me... but if it were short term I could possibly be able to help. Or if there is any way that I could take a PB or two to open up foster space... I want to help so badly... I also do not want to set myself up for domestic falure... but I really want to help, esp. since I was the one that gave you the info on Monte in the first place!
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Kirstan » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:15 pm

Ya, I'm not blaming you though! :) I got at least 4 other emails and 2 frantic phone calls so I just said 'oh, crap, pull him and I'll figure something out'.

I'm not sure of little kids so I wouldn't want to take the chance. I'd rather have one of the other, more pit bull type dogs go to you.

I'll chat with you tonight when I get home. My boy pulled a hamstring or something so he's out for the night. I just need to do some contact & weave work with Cobi then I'll be on email for a time.

k.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby BabyReba » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:45 pm

It's scary to turn over a dog these days. He's a DOLL. My husband is desperate to keep him but, it's not in the cards for us.

I hear you.

Man, ABs are such special dogs. I wish I lived closer, cuz I'd foster him for you.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby caped dog » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:38 am

I live along I-5 in the Central, CA area and would be willing to do part of the journey with him. I know Andrea and Opk9 only by email but love the breed and think if they are willing to take him it is worth a long day of driving. He and driver(s) could also crash here enroute. It's a big project and I think 250miles or 4 hours one way might be the exent I could manage...but if a couple people drove... keep us posted.
Last edited by caped dog on Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:43 am

Anyone heading through S. Oregon is welcome to stop by or crash at my house over night if needed....
Steph-n-Wolf

Postby Kirstan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm emailing them today to see if I can put it together - I guess it would go through Pac transfer and PawsAcrossNorthwest. I'll post it to a couple others as well and see what we can all come up with - hugely appreciated!

Gotta run - kirstan
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby caped dog » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Another option... since I would easily spend a fair chunk of change on driving (and time) I'd happily shoot $50. towards a flight and help fundraise more. He has a compelling story and a tax-write-off combined with "i helped a nice doggie" sentiment may get some strangers opening their wallets... have you- or opk9 got paypal?
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Kirstan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:19 pm

OOHHH! Great idea. I'll check flights for him - any ideas, anyone on that? Who to fly him with to San Diego? He's ready to go.

k.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby caped dog » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:28 pm

Not certain that Monte needs a human to fly with him- I've known it to be done both ways. It'd be interesting to hear what the costs are with or without human ticketed passenger. Start by checking Delta, I seem to recall them being recommended. The climates are good right now.
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Kirstan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:06 pm

Well, I've checked out Delta Dash and I came up with $276 to fly him to S.D. with a switch in Salt Lake City (makes me a touch uncomfortable) and they said they transport over 200 pets p/day. He said the rate he came up with is $376 so I guess I was off, huh? :crybaby:

Anyway, he CAN fly on Delta Dash and that is the recommended carrier for pets. I'm still checking on other stuff though and will keep you all updated.

kirstan
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Steph-n-Wolf » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:12 pm

That is not too unreasonable ($$ wise)... I am sure that we all could make it happen.. I am willing to donate....
Steph-n-Wolf

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs