Can't find the perfect diet???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

What type of food do you feed your dogs???

Timberwolf Organics
17%
California Natural
4%
Canidae
29%
Flint River
3%
Innova
14%
Innovative Veterinary Diets Duck and Potato
1%
Natural Balance
17%
PetGuard LifeSpan
1%
Pinnacle
1%
Wellness Super5Mix Hormone-Free Lamb
13%

Total votes : 425

Postby Timas Mom » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:46 pm

The concern for e-coli and samonella is not stricly for the pet itself eatin it but what is shed into the enviroment.

Most dogs on barf diet shed these bacteria into the environment in their stool, thus contaminating it. Many people do not scoop up their dogs poop and you run into trouble. People who are imune-compromised or have very small children should be aware of the risk. Dogs lick their buts all the time and carry the bacteria in their mouth. Any one for kisses?

Most healthy people would not be affected. For people who have gotten severely ill from either, the CDC has a question now on their checklist for each incident that if the patient has pets, what do they eat.

I feed home-cooked to one dog, and kibble to the other. I use a vit-trace mineral supplement provided to me by a nutrionoinalist as most barf diets lack trace minerals. Barf is not for everyone, and the one edict I hear over and over is that this is how the wild dogs eat. Yes and they have an avereage life span of 7-9 years, whereas we expect our pets to live 9-20 years ( depending on the breed) people in the 1920's, on farms, ate high fat high protein diets, worked hard and...died by 50 years. I have no problems with BARF but want to hear correct and scientific information passed along.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby MENSCH » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:19 pm

how about solid golds grain free formula
MENSCH

food

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:02 am

We feed our american bulldog/lab mix puppy NUTRO Large Breed Puppy dry food.
We switched our 10 year old shihtzu from Purina dog food to Nutro Senior dog food. :-) roflmao
IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Fixedgearjerk » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:17 pm

I feed Ava eukanuba lamb and rice puppy. i do plan on switching to a more natural food. my question is what would be the problem in mixing two differnt brands 50/50? say if you don't beiieve one is better then the other? wouldn't you just be getting the best of both worlds?
Fixedgearjerk
Adolescent Bully

Postby MyBluePit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:58 am

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula, she seems to really like it and her coat os soft and skin is great fro what I can tell. Here are the ingrediants
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), white rice, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
If anybody see's something not good please point it out with a little explanation as to why it's not good.
MyBluePit
Newborn Bully

Postby egostang » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:02 am

I'm so overwhelmed by the diet choices. Where do I start?! I want to feed my dog top quality food. A semi-local place carries Solid Gold, not sure about the other brands. I looked into the BARF diet. The pre-packaged stuff is expensive.

As far as buying my own ingredients to feed Jack...what should I get? How much will he need to be fed? What kind of a schedule should he be on? And do you switch up the foods or feed them fairly the same thing everyday?

Right now he is on Royal Canin which was recommended by the vet.
egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

foods

Postby leanmuscle » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:05 pm

We feed our fella a diet formulated for pit bulls. We use a company called www.chefk9.com

Our skin is soooooo much better now, nutrition really does matter.

Hope this helps some people with allergic dogs.
leanmuscle

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 pm

Quick question. I know Diamond isn't nearly as good as Timberwolf or Canidae. I understand I am missing some important ingredients. I feed my dogs 1 cup of it 2x a day. I give them an egg at least 2x a week. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to do some B.A.R.F once or twice a week for a meal. Would this mess their systems up? Would it help healthy growth and happy lives? Bad idea or good idea to add some halthy meats and fresh veggies a few times a week instead of eating Diamond for dinner?
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby jesse » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:27 am

I feed Bubba kibbles&bits :brow:
jesse
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:16 pm

We feed a RAW diet here! :thumbsup:
KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby Brutus's Mommy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:19 pm

jesse wrote:I feed Bubba kibbles&bits :brow:

That's not something to be proud of ;)

We currently feed Diamond Naturals.
Brutus's Mommy
Addicted to PBF

Postby bassol808 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 pm

the better products here on the island are...

Nutro
Eukanub
Science Diet

I have Oreo on Nutro now...is that better than Science Diet? I know Science Diet is made my Purina or someone right? and I havent tried the Eukanub (sp?)

Anyways, those are the choices I have besides all the Purina and stuff....

but I am still looking into raw diet or barf....
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 pm

Yes it is. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby bassol808 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Yes it is. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

in the middle of the pacific ocean...on the island of kauai
bassol808
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby msvette2u » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:11 am

We feed our fosters and our own dogs Kirkland Chicken/Rice/Vegetable. They love it and they all look terrific. It's sold at COSTCO.
msvette2u

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues