Things to avoid feeding your dog!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:20 pm

chako wrote:Actually, they use avocado OIL (if I recall), not whole avocado. I actually contacted the company with that very question. I think I posted the answer I received from them on another thread a while ago on this board.

They were probably aware of the potential danger to feeding the avocado meat and opted for oil. I'm not an AvoDerm feeder, but if i were, glad i know about the whole avocado thing
snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Just not true

Postby leanmuscle » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:55 pm

Way too many of the items mentioned are more then suitable for dogs. Potatoes are wonderfully nutritious and they are part of my every day meals. Eggs should be cooked, but are one of the finest protein sources available. Even the shells are good, an occasional hard boiled egg is a fantastic treat. Garlic has a world of positive effects, but should be used in rather small quantities. Even raw bones are fine, they contain marrow which is highly nutritious. The danger with bones is if they are cooked, that may cause them to splinter.

Oh....and apple seeds do contain a very small amount of cyanide. However, unless your dog was to eat a mass quantity of apple seeds, there is abosolutley no problem. I readily feed my pit whole apples, core and all.

Not trying to create arguments or debate, simply trying to present the truth.
leanmuscle

Postby IamaDick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Eggs should be cooked

They dont have to be.
IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Re: Just not true

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:16 pm

leanmuscle wrote:Oh....and apple seeds do contain a very small amount of cyanide. However, unless your dog was to eat a mass quantity of apple seeds, there is abosolutley no problem. I readily feed my pit whole apples, core and all.

I guess I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm a bit paranoid about some things, so I just cut up apples for Kane!
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby egostang » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:09 am

Everywhere I see lists of things not to feed your dog I see discrepancies. The only things that seem consistent are the coffee/tea/chocolate/candy and grapes/raisins, mushrooms, a few others.

But it would seem like raw eggs would be okay :huh?: it would be something they would eat in the wild if they could get them. I may start adding an egg to my pups food.
egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ~!Sasha!~ » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Some of the things on the list had me wondering too. Like the raw eggs and garlic. I used to mix it into my dog's food and the only thing I saw wrong was that his breath smelled gross for a day or two. Other than those two factors, I will be cautious about what goes into my baby's tummy.
~!Sasha!~
Newborn Bully

Postby jhwilliam » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:01 pm

it coming up to easter soon but dont give in to them puppy eyes lol
jhwilliam
Matured Bully

Postby crazy4pits » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 am

A lot of foods on the list depends on the dogs weight.

Dogs can have garlic but not in a LARGE quanity. I give mine garlic pills.
crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby mydogsarethepits » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:22 pm

We had a thread a while back on feeding your dog a raw egg once a week for a healthy coat ety ???? SO that seems weird.......also Garlic being no good for them seems weird too.
mydogsarethepits
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nygemma » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:05 am

thanks everyone. What about fish oil pills, I read those were great for the coat, and my dogs love them. But here it says raw fish is bad.
And what about carrots? my dogs luv raw baby carrots???
nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Well, if you guys have any specific questions, I can pull out my toxicilogy book and look things up for you...

But to answer some things:

Raw eggs are bad for dogs in the same way they're bad for people: salmonella. Dogs are more resistant to it than people because they build up their immune system with a lifetime of licking floors and stuff, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Also, dogs that aren't sick themselves can pass salmonella through in their poop and potentially make people sick, especially kids who like to play in the dirt and touch their mouths. Cooked eggs have pretty much the same nutritional value, so what's to lose?

Garlic and onion are toxic, and not just to dogs. They both have the same toxic principle in them, that can cause anemia if too much is eaten. That said, there's nothing special about the toxicity in dogs. You would get anemia too if you ate a whole bellyful of the stuff, you'd get anemic too. It's all about how much they eat. The only real time we see problems is when a tiny dog gets a big dose of onion. If the amount of garlic you feed your dogs is similar to what you'd be willing to eat (adjusted for body size), then you're OK. Still, I wouldn't feed it on purpose.

Carrots are fine. Fish oil is fine. The reason raw fish (from the Pacific Northwest) is bad is because there's a parasite that lives in it, and fish oil is processed so that isn't a concern.

Chocolate and anything with caffeine in it are no-no's too, though unless you're talking about unsweetened baking chocolate, it takes a LOT to be life-threatening. Dogs metabolize caffeine and Theobromine (the good stuff in chocolate) many times slower than people, so they're far more sensitive to it.

Raisins and grapes are an absolute no-no, ever. They don't even know for sure what chemical causes the toxicity yet, and there are reports of dogs going into kidney failure over very small amounts, and some dogs are unpredictably more sensitive than others. It's just not worth the risk.

Basically, for most potentially "bad" foods, it's all about the dose. In moderation, these things can be OK (though perhaps not ideal). In excess, any food can cause a problem. For example, large amounts of high-fat foods, even as a one-time treat, can be very risky-- they'll give some dogs pancreatitis if they get a huge high-fat meal all at once
ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby Lycan » Fri May 18, 2007 9:08 pm

What about beans? He loves them! Are they okay to feed?
Lycan

Postby sharonmissy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:28 pm

I was just thinking about this, if onions and garlic can cause anemia in animals then can't it cause anemia in humans as well. I always get a really bad headache when I eat a lot of onions.

I have a dog cook book that has recipes with garlic powder. Are there any peer reviewed studies about dog toxicilogy that you can point me too? I'm very interested in this.
sharonmissy
Matured Bully

Postby sharonmissy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Sorry. Didn't read your comment about the garlic and Onion. So it does affect humans in the same way.
sharonmissy
Matured Bully

Postby Alyssa » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:55 am

IMO, the very BEST site to learn about what is toxic and what is not toxic for your pets is the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... o_apcc_dyk

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... poisonsafe

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... pcc_common

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... oxicplants

NonToxic Plants:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... oxicplants

Ask the APCC - Okay or No Way?
Have you heard that a specific product or substance could be dangerous to your pets? Our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center set the record straight on a variety of substances, from cleaning products to popular houseplants:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... o_apcc_ask
Alyssa
Super Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues