Foster homes and cat problems

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
petsncrafts

Postby petsncrafts » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:12 am

I have a question.

Demon is doing ok with one of my brother's cats. This cat is so laid back that he slept when Demon came in, pushed Demon away when he said hello, and went back to sleep. However my brother's second cat and both of mine elect a chase reaction from him. With Turkey and Oreo (my cats) he just whines and play poses at them in and out of the crate, but with Trouble (brother's second cat) he goes nuts! My vet thinks it might be because Trouble is black like Demon and it makes him think "oh look a black puppy!" and not "oh a black kitty"

It has only been a few days since we got him, but he has a very strong, chase and play reaction to this cat and the cat ENCOURAGES it (in my wierd mind) by going up to the dog, batting him in the face and staring him down while hissing until the dog lunges. The whole time we give praise while Demon ignores him but there is only so much he can take. Currently the only way to keep them apart is to have Demon in his crate or outside. I do not like either option.

Oh, and we are trying to use the squirt bottle method to stop the cat but he loves water so it does nothing to deter him.

Thanks!

Kathy

Rose

Postby Rose » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:12 am

I have kept Rosie and my kitty, Diana, apart with the help of a gate since Rosie arrived. Rosie has only tried to get at Diana once and that was about two months ago. I fully believe her only reason for chasing the cat in the first place was because my older dog, Buddy, started the chasing first. It is a game to Buddy.

I'm working on getting Rosie and Diana interacting again by bringing Diana close to Rosie when she is confined in her crate. Diana isn't comfortable around Rosie anymore, thus the crate.

What I don't understand, Rosie doesn't even seem to notice cats outside. We can walk right past one and she doesn't even appear to see or smell it, much less chase it. Buddy, on the other hand, chases anything that moves.

loveriot

Postby loveriot » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 pm

Great info everyone!!

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Cat/dog Harmony!

Postby zoo_mom85 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:46 pm

PUURFECT!!!! this is exactly the kind of hope and advice I had been searching for! I have 4 cats, a chiauhauh and a Rabbit! Not to mention 2 babies 1 and 2 and 6 other cats that I feed outside. Thank you so much for some chance of hope, My Bullet is 2 years old. We just rescued him either we got him or he went to the pound! He's never been around cats. I have been so nervouse. I have one cat a Siamese who is absolutly not afraid. He'll walk up to the gate when we are in the backyard with Bullet and watch him play ball.They've touched noses through the gate! Hopefully one day we will have dog cat harmony. I'd love to have it indoors and out.....who knows. Thats the only place they've met is out in the backyard.

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 am

I had to give up my kittie to my roomie because Kayrah terrorized him too much, as in tried to eat him viciously too many times.

I plan on having a sane cat/dog house ONE DAY, but I'd like to start small. I've gotten two mice, who elicite mild reactions of her reation to cat, and she really REALLY wants to eat them.

Is it possible that when she becomes accustomed to the mice, she has hope for the cats? Because when she sees a cat....she's just as bad or worse then Tigger!!!!!

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby zoo_mom85 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:32 am

Hahaha Rosie, thats my name!

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

My Dog did well!

Postby zoo_mom85 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:41 am

Usually when I bring Bullet in every one else in the zoo is out except the bunny. Hes caged. Bullet has gotten to the point where he runs in and doesnt even sniff at the bunny cage anymore.

Last week, I was walking in the yard and my cat lucky was bound and determined to come see meeh! He jumped the fence and started right for me, I walked out of reach of Bullets run line but stood close to him so he could see the cat. Lucky didnt pay no attention to Bullet all he cared about was getting to mom. now lucky doesnt usually have fear of the dogs...he just looks at the neighbors 4 pits like "dO YOU MIND? iM SITTING HERE" and when they run up to him he shoes them away like "Quit steaming uo my fur!"
Bullet went nuts! He started whining and jumping and growling, and told him NO! BE NICE! and he got quiet, he looked at the cat but then looked at me, then back to the cat and whined and jumped around tugging at his line again, and again NO BE NICE! and he ran into his dog house and grabbed hi bucket then came out and paced the line edge . I didnt want to risk anything so I took Lucky Duck to the front yard. But I think he did well! The next day we were playing in the yard off leash and he got so fixated on my part time cat that I had to tie him up. He was mean growling and just trying to eat the cat. Sheesh! Wierdo!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:00 pm

and he ran into his dog house and grabbed hi bucket then came out and paced the line edge

The dog was trying to cope with the frustation caused by not being able to reach the cat.It is actually a good thing for a dog to be able to target something else, something that is appropriate to release some stress on.
Use it at your advantage, offering an alternative to the excitement/prey drive.A tug toy, a ball thrown, all followed by rewards for targeting what you asked him to.
Your dog went back at pacing but he attempted to find something to do (grabbing the bucket) for a moment.Some dogs won't move their eyes from the cat for anything.Not even food.They stand there while their mind is frozen in prey drive.

The next day we were playing in the yard off leash and he got so fixated on my part time cat that I had to tie him up. He was mean growling and just trying to eat the cat.

Was the cat still in sight? While you might need to confine the dog somewhere you want to find a way to do without ending up with him being even more stressed.Go out there with him and get him involved in some kind of activity.Get him tired and tie him up only when he relaxes and the cat is not in sight.His mind needs to be on something else.Otherwise you have a dog running up and down, tugging a chain, cable or line and bulding up even more frustration.

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

His prey drive comes and goes....?

Postby zoo_mom85 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:25 am

[quote="Red] Was the cat still in sight? While you might need to confine the dog somewhere you want to find a way to do without ending up with him being even more stressed.Go out there with him and get him involved in some kind of activity.Get him tired and tie him up only when he relaxes and the cat is not in sight.His mind needs to be on something else.Otherwise you have a dog running up and down, tugging a chain, cable or line and bulding up even more frustration.[/quote]

No, the part time cat was under the house not to be seen, but Bullet knew he was under there. He was just so fixated on getting under the house. Bullet is odd.Some days he is purr-fectly ok with the cats, play bows at the fence and play yips tail going full force, and when redirected he goes for the ball or whatever. Other days he just goes nuts trying to get the cat. He's never been around cats until my house. He doesnt seem to have high prey drive though. He now runs right past my rabbit cage and doesnt even sniff at it any more unless the rabbit is doing his crazy dance, hen every one looks at the rabbit. Even meeh!
This weekend for instance:

Saturday, Lick-a-lot was at the fence. Hes Himalayan and no fear of Bullet, Just extreme curiosity and only 9 months old. He walks to the fence and watches almsot to say "Hey what are you doing?" Bullet walks up and sniffs ears forward tail straight. There was a fence between them so I let him go a little bit before interveining. Bullet paced back and forth once, tail going then play bowed, sniffed adn then barked. When he started barking we redirected with the ball and he forgot about the cat who was still sitting at the fence.
Sunday- We had played with Bullet all day in the yard. he doesnt usually Bark just play yips and squeaks and howls. Whenever he wants to play with you he will grab his bucket as if he was saying "See? I have a toy too!" after playing all day he was sleeping on his chain. Suddenly my 3 cats came running from the back yard and the dog was going crazy. MEAN barking and growling and I could hear him choking where he was straining his chain. I thought a person was in the back yard but I couldnt see anything. I went out and calmed him down and walked through the yard and still didnt see anything but he was still pulling on his chain growling, finally I found him. An All black cat was sleeping on the wood pile in the back yard. After removing the cat, Bullet calmed down and went back to sleep.
Monday- Bullet was playing fetch with me yesterday. Lucky decided it would be a good idea to come spray the bushes next to the fence. Again a fence was in between so I didnt worry too much but I watch him carefully. Bullet ran right past him, dropped the ball then turned around and pointed. After a minute of pointing he pranced up to the fence and sniffed, play bowed and yipped. Lucky kinda tensed up and so did Bully. So I pulled him back and showed him the ball. He started playing with the ball again but every time he brought it back he would pause and look for Lucky.

I am scared to introduce them in the house still. They've never been inside together. My husband said tmrw we are going to bring Bullet in on a leash then put up the Baby gate and feed the cat in the kitchen. I just dont know which cat to bring in. I know I wont bring in Gabby cause shes a weirdo who darts around and is still nervouse over everything!

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

oh yeah...

Postby zoo_mom85 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:35 am

Bullet is not really food driven. Ive tried to give him cookies or treats, he doesnt really seem to care. He loves my kids to feed him whatever they are eating though but he wont take it from me. I dont know what to offer as a treat. I need something yummy. Maybe beef jerky?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 am

. He doesnt seem to have high prey drive though. He now runs right past my rabbit cage and doesnt even sniff at it any more

He most likely does. The bunny is confined, unlike the cats running full speed in the back yard.The dog knows he can't get to it and the bunny does not create that excitement that comes from a small animal moving fast.If you open that cage and let the bunny run around I am thinking that Bullet would be on it quickly.
Tigger, the dog in my original post, could probably be in the back yard with my cat if the cat is staying still or walking slowly.It would take the cat and sprinting across the yard for Tigger to grab him.Prey drive kicks in.
That is why the cat is never outside with the dogs, unless I am working on them one at a time and they are leashed.They are okey in the house but to expect them to forget their instinct in a large area in the open is a lot to ask.

I think you need to start working with the dog and one cat inside the house.Both animals at safe distance, with barriers in between.Your back yard is not the place to do so, too hard for the dog to consider anything else but a cat moving around.The more chances the dog has to get worked up about those cats the harder it is for you to control him.Start getting solid responses inside the house and then you can think to try outside, with the dog leashed and a reward ready.

I dont know what to offer as a treat.

For training you want to use something special.Something the dog never gets, except when he is working for you and do things right.I use turkey hot dogs, tiny pieces of cheese, mother hubbard's cookies (tiny pieces as well, big pieces when the dog gets a behavior or repeat it as soon as asked), sliced cooked chicken or even fruit.Tigger likes fruit as well and I use it for less important training.I save the good stuff for when she is asked to work a bit harder.
When you train do it before the dog is fed anything.If you train after a meal the dog is less likely to pay attention to your food, cause his stomach is full.

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby zoo_mom85 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 pm

Thanks for all of this advice. Bullet is MY first pitbull. My Hubby on the other hand used to have several. Hes wanted another one for a long time but we didnt have the space for one until now. Anyways Bullet did really well today. Mu husband took our little dog out with him and let them sniff each other outside. they have done well a few times in the house, so he tried today with bullet on a leash and bigs. They did great!!! Bullet didnt even care that bigs was walking around the yard or anything. After a few minutes he was following me and basically ignoring taht th other dog was there. He grabbed his ball and tried t get me to play with it. It was so exciting to see Bullet and Bigs the chiauhauh getting along. Well, not trying to be eaten. Bigs is terrified of him. There first meeting Bigs went crazy and attacked Bullet and Bullet rolled hima round, but didnt break any skin. THAT WAS HORRIBLE!
Also with the cats...Bullet seems to know which cats belong here and which cats dont. Mine dont run. Except Gabby. She runs from anything still. But my boys, they dont run at all. Even when the neighbors 4 pit trample over them cause they are playing tag. Lucky just kinda looks around like IM SITTING HERE! Today even, Bullet was playing ball and ran up and seen a cat and he walked quickly to the fence sniffed at it and when I called him he came. Didnt pay a second glance at the cat. Even when the cats were fighting in the front yard, right next to the fence. He watched them like a nosey neighbor but thats all.
Everything that we do with Bullet though is on a leash. Hes never off leash unsupervised. And that is in my fenced back yard. Or the house with baby gates and all.

One thing I must say about this breed though, Ive never had a dog so eager to learn or be put to work. I have grown up with labs and that is like training a rock!

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:45 am

What do I do if the cats run in fear if the dog even looks at them?

Sometimes Jack ignores them completely, other times he tries to chase them. He has a cat friend at another person's house (or did until they gave it away) that he would greet and try to play with (not eat thankfully).

Maybe he just needs a pop in the nose by the cat to realize he plays too rough but obviously I don't want to endanger either animal or reward chasing behavior.

Okay for example right now Jack is in his crate, the cat is about 3.5 feet from him looking out the window, neither are acknowledging each other (both are awake). How can I achieve this when Jack is not in the crate?

zoo_mom85
Bully Ambassador

Postby zoo_mom85 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:17 pm

egostang wrote:What do I do if the cats run in fear if the dog even looks at them?

Sometimes Jack ignores them completely, other times he tries to chase them. He has a cat friend at another person's house (or did until they gave it away) that he would greet and try to play with (not eat thankfully).

Maybe he just needs a pop in the nose by the cat to realize he plays too rough but obviously I don't want to endanger either animal or reward chasing behavior.

Okay for example right now Jack is in his crate, the cat is about 3.5 feet from him looking out the window, neither are acknowledging each other (both are awake). How can I achieve this when Jack is not in the crate?

Thats what I am trying to acheive. I dont think Bullet wants to eat anything, although he did chase gabby as soon as he got out the fence! And he was on leash! But when hes told no, then he understands no and lets it be. There is an awesome post at the beginning of this from red about the dog Tigger that was really helpful.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:54 pm

jack had a moment with one of my cats tonight :peace:

The cat was minding it's own business on a chair and he went up and sniffed her, the cat sniffed back. No chomping.

But as soon as he started to get a little excited the cat bolted. At least I know he isn't trying to eat them...yet/

Return to “Training and Behavior”