old dog fight scars

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

old dog fight scars

Postby sam » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:07 pm

so I just adopted an older pittie girl who so far is FABULOUS!!!

But what I'm wondering is if anybody knows of any good (moisturizer, etc) lotion for her. She has really dried out skin, especially around old fight scars around her ears, and she has some deep scars around her neck. It looks like at one point her neck was roughly stitched back together so her skin if all folded up and lacking hair (sorry sort of graphic sounding).

Anyways I know that her skin will get better with good food, living indoors, and a bath but if anybody knows of a good lotion I could use to help her skin along that would be fabulous.

Thanks!
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby kendall » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:40 pm

Check out this site:

http://www.ferretstore.com/skincare.html

Lots of products for lots of different conditions. There is an herbal spray that sounds like it might help your pup out, it's got teatree oil which is a natural moisturizer. Good luck.
kendall
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby damienApbt » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:42 pm

my boy doesnt have any scars but does have really bad skin. especially in the spring and summer. i use derm caps. its all fatty oils that help his skin from being so dry. i dont know how others feel about the caps but they sure work for me.

im also looking to switch him over to wellness fish and sweet potato food. supposedly that really helps with skin and coat. it cost the same as iams. which is what im feeding him now.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:06 am

Poor baby. :sad: Nice work Sam!! Glad to hear you brought her home. My experience with this was: My male came to me looking like someone slit his throat from ear to ear in different places. It all healed up and he had large fibrosis lumps for quite some time too. It all went away with time and he didn't wear a collar for the first 6 months or so, just a harness. I used Neosporin (SP?) where needed too. His coat and skin were always perfect though. By the end you couldn't even tell. With Daisy, she always had the flaky skin. I brush her daily to stimulate natural oils and switched her to Innova, this helped alot, it's all but gone. Moisturizing shampoo does a great job too. Lots of rescues just have to eat whatever is donated to the shelter, which is often not only crappy food, and it may literally be changed dialy for a while. After a little stable diet it should get better. She has a bunch of scars on her legs and feet too that I don't think willl ever go away. Iams is crapola so the Wellness should make a big difference.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby sam » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:43 pm

Thanks for the tips everybody!
sam
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:50 pm

damienApbt wrote:my boy doesnt have any scars but does have really bad skin. especially in the spring and summer. i use derm caps. its all fatty oils that help his skin from being so dry.

Hey Damien-
I use Derm caps ES too and they work well for Dex. Wellness white-fish sweet potato is a good kibble. I feed Wellness lamb, but every 6 months or so I will switch to Whitefish/sweet potato. It does stink something horrible though :crybaby:
Jeff

Postby damienApbt » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:05 am

Jeff wrote: It does stink something horrible though :crybaby:

yeah i know. im about to switch him over. i got a sample of the fish and SP and it is pretty bad. well if it makes his skin better then i'll take the bad breath.

do you think it would be a good idea to mix the fish SP with the super 5 chicken. because i'd like to get him tightened up and more defined. i definitely want to feed him the fish sp for his skin but if i can mix the 2 then i'll do that.
damienApbt
Regulator

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:46 pm

I fed the chicken, but Dex seemed to have allergies to the protein in it. I wouldn't recommend mixing the two foods any longer than it takes to not upset his stomach (maybe 4-5 days.) Haha, I dont really feel like checking out the ingredient differences between the fish and chicken, but as a rule of thumb it is not a good idea to mix different kibbles. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
On a side note, I had no idea IAMS was so expensive. If its the same price as Wellness, then it should be a no brainer to switch over.
Jeff

Postby damienApbt » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:52 pm

the chicken formula has white fish in it also just not as a main ingredient.
i was just worried while the sweet pot. kibble may make his skin better that it doesnt have all the good stuff in it that the super 5 mix does.

may be canidae has some kibble with a good mix for skin coat and the rest. i still have like a half bag of iams large breed so when im almost done with it ill mix in some wellness. thanks for the 4-5 day tip though, thats good to know.
damienApbt
Regulator

Return to Health Issues