how much should i be paying

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby buckaroo » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:53 pm

WOAH! $350 is way too much IMO! My vet charges $75 - $150 depending on weight. That included blood work and etc...

I would check around, or if you really want to go to that vet maybe you could find someplace cheaper and ask your vet if he will match that price.
buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Odnarb » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:30 pm

Jeff wrote:And I will have to agree to disagree with you on the issue of bloodwork, MustangGT. It might not be necessary for most dogs, but I would not dream of letting my 7-year old go through surgery without all work done before. It's going to cost me extra $$$, but I dont see it as money wasted.

Totally. We've picked up a few potential disasters on routine pre-surg bloodwork (example: liver shuts). That goes for the IV fluids, too. You would be surprised how often blood pressure drops while under anesthesia. Most clinics don't monitor BP on surgery patients, so they have no idea really. The IV fluids help prevent a drop.

Basicly, the differences in price depend on the quality of the supplies, as well as location. Are they using gas anesthesia (sevoflurane preferably, isoflurane is good, too) or are they getting a shot in the rear of Rompun? Do they use stainless steel sutures? Lots of cheap spay/neuter places do. The material is cheap. But, your pet is screwed if they ever need an MRI. They won't be able to have one. Monitoring, is your pet on a pulse oximeter, EKG, or BP monitor during surgery?
Odnarb
Regulator

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:30 am

I recently heard that PETA was spaying and neutering Pits for free. I will see if I can find any info on it.
Owen

Postby wndrtwns04 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:24 pm

Careful of what the devil offers! They'll say it "turned on them" and euth em. roflmao
wndrtwns04

Postby VinR1 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:51 am

$350 is outrageous

my vet charges $95
VinR1

Postby Odnarb » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:55 pm

VinR1 wrote:$350 is outrageous

my vet charges $95

You live in Texas. The cost of living around the world isn't determined by the cost of living in Texas.

A spay in my city for $95 would get you unsafe anesthesia (higher chances of organ failure and the dog is probably not intubated), stainless steel internal sutures so that your dog will NEVER be able to have an MRI, no monitoring, and no pain control.
Odnarb
Regulator

Previous

Return to Health Issues