Things to avoid feeding your dog!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby midwestdrifter13 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:54 pm

IamaDick wrote:One thing

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

I feed eggs regularly and have no problems whatsoever.

me too!!! :peace:
he's shiney!
midwestdrifter13
Newborn Bully

Postby Boyan88 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:08 pm

this might just be me, my dad is a vet and he has been raising bully breeds since i was 10, he said the best way about it is to have home cooked food for dogs at all times, i feed bailey 2g of protein per every pound of mass, so 60g protein a day, i combine eggs, fish, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, a little bit of cheese SOMETIMES, all in all i get it down to about 450 calories, 60 grams of protein, about 130 calories are from fat, another 100 calories are from carbs and about 220 are from protein, keeps her coat very shiny, her teeth clean, and it develops muscle and doesnt store fat at all, and of course she gets plenty of exercise, and all her meals are freshly made and weighed every time. so i dont think eggs, oils, vitamins and such are such a bad idea. oh and anybody can pick up a flaxseed extract and feed it to their dog once a day, helps with a digestive system, and its full of essential grand daddy fats that every animal needs. that much from me
Boyan88

Postby Adivina » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:25 am

Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Someone needs to have a talk with Meiko and remind her of this. The other day I found a whole loaf of bread that had gone bad on top of my fridge - guess I forgot about it whoops! :oops:

I made sure it was all wrapped up, put it at the very bottom of the trash, covered it up, etc - went out for a bit (did not put her in her crate, as the boyfriend was home on the computer in the other room) - I came back to find BLACK crumbs all over the kitchen. Damn dog sniffed out the moldy bread and ate it ALL. Wouldn't you think there would be more appetizing things to steal? :crybaby:
Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby matronmedusa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:58 am

Okay, so I know I'll probably be reamed for this, but I feed my dogs table scraps ALL the time. Their food bowls stay full with dog food, but they pretty much get the left overs from every supper. They eat as good as we do, and their coats are silky and shiny. I don't have an overweight issue, either. Both of my dogs seem very fit and healthy. Now that I know that about onions though, I will have to be more careful. I do pull the meat off of chicken bones because they can splinter, but I've given them rib bones and never had any issues... In fact, I've read that bone marrow is very good for dogs, and that in the wild, wolves eat the bones just for this reason.
matronmedusa
Newborn Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 am

Alyssa wrote:IMO, the very BEST site to learn about what is toxic and what is not toxic for your pets is the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... o_apcc_dyk

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... poisonsafe

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... pcc_common

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... oxicplants

NonToxic Plants:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... oxicplants

Ask the APCC - Okay or No Way?
Have you heard that a specific product or substance could be dangerous to your pets? Our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center set the record straight on a variety of substances, from cleaning products to popular houseplants:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pa ... o_apcc_ask

i totally have to agree with this. we access this information almost every time we have a poss toxicity call in our hospital. certain things...grapes for example don't affect all dogs...but isn't it better to be safe than sorry?
porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby RUSH » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm

one word.

moderation
RUSH
Newborn Bully

Re: Things to avoid feeding your dog!

Postby pit_amor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 pm

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Thanks! Answered my question. I was concerned about that.
pit_amor
Newborn Bully

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 am

Grapes and raisins are bad - I get that.

But I was re-reading this looking for "grapeseed oil" (which I have had recommended to mix into my cats' BARF and have sometimes seen it listed on dog foods.

Is it one of those things that isn't what it seems to be? Or is it bad like grapes would be? Or is it okay?
Amie
Regulator

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:57 am

Yeah I know a lot of people that use grapeseed extract when feeding raw. It supposedly is as effective as using Clorox? It cleans the food of parasites, pesticides, fungi, bacteria, and heavy metals. It supposedly acts like a magnet and pulls out toxins from produce. Great question!
jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:45 pm

So then it doesn't have whatever grapiness makes the poison?

If it does clean things out, I'll toss a little on his food next week - he's been on meds and I'd like to get the extra chemicals out of him...
Amie
Regulator

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:55 pm

I am not sure if it does, maybe someone that knows can chime in! That is why I said you posted a great question! Cause you would think it had grapes in it.
jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:03 pm

leanmuscle wrote:Way too many of the items mentioned are more then suitable for dogs. Potatoes are wonderfully nutritious and they are part of my every day meals. Eggs should be cooked, but are one of the finest protein sources available. Even the shells are good, an occasional hard boiled egg is a fantastic treat. Garlic has a world of positive effects, but should be used in rather small quantities. Even raw bones are fine, they contain marrow which is highly nutritious. The danger with bones is if they are cooked, that may cause them to splinter.

Oh....and apple seeds do contain a very small amount of cyanide. However, unless your dog was to eat a mass quantity of apple seeds, there is abosolutley no problem. I readily feed my pit whole apples, core and all.

Not trying to create arguments or debate, simply trying to present the truth.

I was wondering, wouldn't the shells cut up their mouth and throat and insides??? I have heard that the shells can be fed to chickens... but I duno... hasn't anyone broken up egg SHELLS in their hand? it hurts! :oops: or maybe its just me.

Also I am confused I know that bones can splinter, but are you saying that non-cooked bones are all ok? and does this go for all types of bones? chicken, fish, beef? makes me a bit nervous.

.... sorry one more thing, which would be the best type of fish to feed to them, or dosn't it matter.

any help will be appreciated. :) thanks
PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

marijuana use...

Postby sarascure » Tue May 06, 2008 9:59 pm

so this may be a stupid question.....but if you smoke pot in the same room as a pit, what exactly are you doing to his system? im not an idiot, i just want it clarified so i can have info to pass along to someone who doesnt think it affects the dog....
sarascure
Newborn Bully

Postby batp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 am

so what is ok t feed your dogs? just boring dog food and the occasional treat? In saying that we are not supposed to feed them on a biscuits only diet or a dog roll only diet? how do we win? I feed my dogs table scraps, they have whatever I have for smoko and they get biscuits and rolls as well. and they seem fine - too much energy and nice coats who knoews?
batp
Newborn Bully

chicken bones

Postby brindle1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:23 am

my female just ate about ten cooked hot wings while i was outside smoking off of my plate should i be worried i know its a bad habit to leave food out around animals but everyone slips every now and again
brindle1
Newborn Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues