Howdy, folks! A pleasure to find y'all.

************YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE UNTIL YOU PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE.*********
ayjayar
Newborn Bully

Howdy, folks! A pleasure to find y'all.

Postby ayjayar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:41 am

Howdy, folks. Let me introduce myself. I am Andrew; I live in Shelby County, Alabama in a gentrified rural area about 16 miles South of Birmingham. In this area, our major problems are slow moving turtles on the Crest, opossums, squirrels, raccoons, horse people ambling around with their neat little hats and fancy britches. We only have wood fences to keep horses in. The locals call Indian Crest Critter Alley. Dogs are everywhere. No leash laws. I have wanted a dog for years, but never had the time or dedication. Got a little Chow-Husky mix for my son about 12 years ago (from the Shelby Rescue), but he, being the child that he was, took the doggie for granted, not spending much time training her or grooming her. So we ended up with a stinky yard dog with a totally sweet disposition, but with nary an ounce of discipline or training. Not an enjoyable dog for me, but it suited my son. Birtie died last year of kidney failure at age 11. I realized that, although I never really worked with her, I missed her a lot. My wife is a cat person and she is quite allergic to cats, dogs, and most animals. So, because she loves animals, she puts up with her sniffles. The possum that is sharing the food with our outdoor cat seems innocuous, but I had to be very firm with her about not petting the little fossil.
I have a couple of vet friends and I asked them about a dog that I could have, that didn’t shed (there went my German Shepherd), that was intelligent, strong, in a need of firm handling and training, and one that would be happy sitting at my feet while I cruise the Net or work on my hobbies (fixing vintage watches and fountain pens, listenng to prog rock an, jazz, and classical music, and reading). I know dog breeds real well. Originally, being of Hungarian origin, I thought about getting one of the Hungarian breeds: Kuvasz, Puli, Komondor, or Vizsla, but I ended up eliminating them one by one, for a variety of reasons. I studied the Great Pyrenee, and Bouvier de Flandres, Then switched to the Molossers like the Argentine Dogo, Cane Corso, Fila Brasiliero, the Rottweiler, and the Presa Canario. One of the vets suggested I look into a pit bull.
For the last 6 months I have read everything I could lay my hands on, watched dozens of videos, and talked to many APBT owners. I knew I found my dog breed. First weekend in October I’ll be picking up an APBT puppy from Tennessee. I did look at local rescues, but I couldn’t come up with a dog that tolerated cats (one of the cats we have, a Ragdoll, is very skittish) and was young enough to allow me to work with from scratch After reading about the plight of the APBT (and other “dangerous” breeds) I still wanted to make home for a “discard.” I also was working up the courage and commitment to walk a dog twice a day for many years, spend a minimum of 30 mins a day training, and going to weekly classes, for months on end. Out of the blue, my son’s friend tells me about his uncle who has decided to quit breeding a pair of APBTs. The dogs somehow “got together” anyway and he ended up with 11 puppies that he doesn’t know what to do with. Coincidence, you say? I think not. ;-)

I am so excited about this coming new member of the family I can hardly wait. I am postponing picking up the puppy by two weeks because we are going (flying) out of town at the end of September and don’t want to leave the puppy behind. He will be better off for 2 extra weeks with his breeder’s family - who socializes the puppies from get-go by keeping them in the house with is family and his other pets.

My wife smiles at me benignly as I accumulate adjustable crate, portable kennel, chew treats, cover for front and back seats for my car, special bully floor cover for the crate, food and water dishes, collar, leash, clickers, etc. I already picked a trainer that I am told handles bullies well and trains owners properly. I bought into Cesar Millan’s approach to Exercise-Discipline-Affection and will be getting a dog-activated treadmill for rainy or stormy days.

I am looking forward to the work that it will take to make an “ambassador for the breed.” I am also looking forward to the companionship, the play, and the pleasure a dog can give his owner. I know it will be a challenge, but I know I am ready.

It was a pleasure to find this Forum. Have been reading your postings with great interest and am looking forward to learning and, eventually, sharing my experiences with you folks.

Kind regards to all,

Andrew
:dance:

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:13 am

welcome!!
kudos for doing your homework!!
sounds like your going to be a awesome owner

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:37 am

:welcome: You certainly did your homework. Glad to have with us!

cbow
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cbow » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:36 pm

:) Welcome!!!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Re: Howdy, folks! A pleasure to find y'all.

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:42 pm

ayjayar wrote: Out of the blue, my son’s friend tells me about his uncle who has decided to quit breeding a pair of APBTs. The dogs somehow “got together” anyway and he ended up with 11 puppies that he doesn’t know what to do with. Coincidence, you say? I think not. ;-)

Sounds like you did your homework. It is a shame you couldn't rescue but there is no doubt you will make a good owner.

I hope your son's friend's uncle gets his dogs fixed.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:50 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you on PBF!

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:25 pm

I'm thoroughly impressed! Welcome to the board!

hitlermom

great

Postby hitlermom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am

Andrew

Its sounds like you will make a great bully owner. They are attention hogs and need lots of love. Sounds like your off to a great start.

Keep us informed and send lots of pictures when you get the new pup

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Welcome! Thank you for doing your research on the breed before getting one, it sounds like your pup will be really lucky to have you.

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:58 pm

What a refreshing intro!

Welcome!! :)

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:04 pm

So nice to read something like that! WELCOME! :thumbsup:

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 pm