Authority Harvest Baked

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
J-Lo171

Authority Harvest Baked

Postby J-Lo171 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:18 am

Has anyone tried Authority Harvest Baked Chicken Adult Dog Food from petsmart, I have been using it for the past month and the kids seem to like it. I was wondering what you guys think about this food and if anyone has used this brand for longer time than me and if they have had good results.

here is a list of the top ten ingridients. opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Authority® Harvest Baked(TM) Chicken Adult Dog Food
Top Ten Ingredients

Chicken
Whole Ground Wheat
Whole Ground Barley
Chicken Meal
Canola Oil
Carrots
Salmon Meal
Dried Egg Product
Spinach
Tomatoes

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein...............25.0%
Fat.....................12.0%
Fiber...................4.0%
Moisture..............10.0%

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:06 pm

Maybe someone new has an opinion about this food, I know what is the best of the best but I'm just curious how this food ranks.

Thanks!!! :))

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:01 pm

I am going to bump this up to see if anyone has tried it.

I think this looks great compared to Iams, Science Diet, Euk, Pro Plan, Pedigree, so on and so forth.

I was very suprised when I read the ingredients.

TylerBing

Postby TylerBing » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:08 pm

I was doing some surfing and found some sites that were comparing and review some brands.

This one is promoting his own brand but its also doing a comparison of the other brand and what to look for that shouldn't be in your doggy's food.
http://www.dog-food-nutrition.com/comparison.htm

This one reviews the reviewing sites (review the review)
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/famil ... views.html

Here is another review site, connected to the one above here.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/famil ... PgodBHWC3g

I bought a bag of Authority Lite and the Chicken variety and both dogs loved it. But in trying to get something better (Merrick), they really didn't go for it like Authority. Now I'm on Blue Buffalo, they are loving that. This is what's in Blue, fish & sweet potatoe variety:

Deboned Whitefish, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Menhadden Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Sweet Potatoes, Potato Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Whole Carrots, Dried Molasses, Malted Barley Flour,Ground Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Mixed Tocopherols, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Garlic, Spirulina, Lecithin, L-Carnitine, Dried Kelp, Parsley, Turmeric, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Niacin, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamin Hydrochloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin.

Crude Protein 22.0% min
Crude Fat 12.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.0% min
Phosphorus 0.90% min
Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 1.30% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.75% min
Beta-Carotene* 5.0 mg/kg min
Glucosamine* 400 mg/kg max

Blue Lite variety:
Deboned Chicken, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Whole Ground Barley, Rye, Whole Ground Oats, Chicken Meal, Potato Flour, Tomato Pomace, Alfalfa, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Rice Protein Concentrate, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Pysllium, Ground Flax Seed, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Dried Kelp, Calcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Glucosamine*, Spirulina*, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pentothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

Crude Protein 20.0% min
Crude Fat 7.5% min
Crude Fiber 7.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.25% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.50% min
Glucosamine* 400 mg/kg max

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm

I actually had a customer coming off of Flint River Ranch food because he could never remenber to order food on time.
He wanted something of comparable quality to FRR but affordable. I tried my darnest to push the BLUE i am supposed to, but he compared it to the harvest baked and i'm not allowed to say anything bad about it.

I personally would like to see a little more meat and a little less grain, perhaps without the use of wheat. Chicken is ~70% water and once the water is extracted, you arent left with much, thus putting the chicken further down the ingredient list. If it were "chicken, chicken meal, wheat blah blah" it'd be better. IMO. I like their use of the vegetables but am not a fan of sunflower oil which has a good likelihood of causing problems for dogs later down the line. good food for what you pay for it, that's for sure.

I work for BLUE but I'm not afraid to say that there are better foods that exist. Not really at PetsMart--though there is some rough competition now with the move for more natural stuff. If you dont have the money to feed well, the Harvest Baked is an excellent option.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 pm

We are doing the Harvest Baked Lamb. I am trying to stay away from the foods with rice and that is what prevented me from getting Blue at Petsmart. I can't feed foods with chicken.

I did the Timberwolf and such but Blue lost to much weight on it. And the gas was awful.
I would like to try some other foods people have talked about on here but I would have to have them shipped.

But so far so good with the Harvest Baked.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:52 pm

crazy4pits wrote:We are doing the Harvest Baked Lamb. I am trying to stay away from the foods with rice and that is what prevented me from getting Blue at Petsmart. I can't feed foods with chicken.

I did the Timberwolf and such but Blue lost to much weight on it. And the gas was awful.
I would like to try some other foods people have talked about on here but I would have to have them shipped.

Why are you avoiding rice? I know some dogs are developing an allergy to white rice, but BLUE is brown rice...:dunno:

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:56 pm

snoopsnoop wrote:
crazy4pits wrote:We are doing the Harvest Baked Lamb. I am trying to stay away from the foods with rice and that is what prevented me from getting Blue at Petsmart. I can't feed foods with chicken.

Why are you avoiding rice? I know some dogs are developing an allergy to white rice, but BLUE is brown rice...:dunno:

I'm just not going to take any chances with any rice. It has been trial and error weeding out what all my dog is allergic too.
So since I want to avoid rice. I pay $27 for a 35lb bag of the Authority and Blue is $39 for 30lbs. So that $12 I save can go towards something else for the dogs or into the savings in case of a dog emergency. :thumbsup:

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:04 am

yea, i understand. And it's not as if HB is a bad food either. it's easier to avoid a "problem food" rather than deal with the reprocussions of it!

i'm not offended if anyone doesnt feed BLUE. hell, I dont!

Return to “Health Issues”