hmmmm Canidae...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

hmmmm Canidae...

Postby Maryellen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Very interesting. :po:

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Very strange.
We are now on the third back of the "new" Canidae formula with three dogs and they are all very healthy and we haven't seen any of those "symptoms" mentioned.
I am actually in the process of changing them from the Lamb and Rice to the normal all life stages chicken, turkey, lamb and fish formual and they seem to enjoy that formula even more than the previous. I have no reason to change the food at all. My dogs do great on it and for an actual working dog that new "formula" is actually pretty good as it provides lots of energy in form of carbs and protein.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Re:

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:22 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:Very strange.
We are now on the third back of the "new" Canidae formula with three dogs and they are all very healthy and we haven't seen any of those "symptoms" mentioned.
I am actually in the process of changing them from the Lamb and Rice to the normal all life stages chicken, turkey, lamb and fish formual and they seem to enjoy that formula even more than the previous. I have no reason to change the food at all. My dogs do great on it and for an actual working dog that new "formula" is actually pretty good as it provides lots of energy in form of carbs and protein.

Ernies been on it too with no problems.

I tend to think with ny food you could find an anecdote about dogs that o poorly on it. This is one story. For example, Ernie had terrible stools and gas with Solid Gold. I still think its a fine food, I just don't feed it.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 am

My dogs had yellowish and loose stools on the new canidae, Susie more than Roscoe. Between that and the increased price, I decided to try a different kind.
Jen

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Heh. Looks like my submission made it on there.

~~~~

Lindsay of Okmulgee OK (09/01/08)
I have fed Canidae All Life Stages dog food to my American Pit Bull Terriers for over 2 years now. I had originally switched to that brand because it was becoming too expensive to feed what I'd been feeding prior to that. When Canidae announced that it was changing the ingredients of their formulas (especially in the wake of all the dog food recalls), I sat up and took notice, but suspended judgement for the time being. When the size of the bag decreased while the price stayed the same, I was unhappy, but rolled with it.

When I heard the rumor they were letting Diamond do their manufacturing, I was alarmed, but still wanted to give the new food a chance. However, after going through two large bags of the new formula, my dogs' digestive problems can no longer be attributed to adjusting to the new formula. They should be done adjusting by now.

There is simply something wrong with this new Canidae. I am officially done with this brand. I've switched my dogs back to the more expensive (but more reliable) brand that we were feeding before. I think the next time a brand I'm feeding makes a significant change under the guise of improvement, I'll be switching my dogs to a homemade raw diet.

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Makes you wonder if they are doing this to get people to switch to the new grain free formulas.

So far my dogs are doing ok on the new formula but I've got my eyes open and fingers crossed.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Well, chocolate!

I've got a new bag of unopened Canidae A.L.S.
At least I'll know what's wrong if they become sick and I can change it right away - instead of weeks and months later, like some unfortunate others. :(

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I stopped in the feed store today and they were loading all the Canidae on a pallet.
Owner said she is sending it all back and will no longer carry it, too many customers complaining with sick dogs.

Return to “Health Issues”