Judge's X-rays....Opinions......

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:28 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:Too bad Leerburg's a prick. Oops, did I say that?

Anyway, I just had to whine. When I had Loki's hips screened, I didn't get a copy of her rads. When the pups get screened, maybe I'll just pack my camera and shoot a picture of them before we leave.

The vet I use for OFA has a digital X-ray machine, and I just pay an extra $5 to get copies of the X-rays on a CD for my own use.

Some of the factors in consideration are breed specific. In GSDs, I'd rather see a Good or Excellent, because those ratings are much easier to come by in that breed, and I trust the OFA radiologists more with GSD films than with SBT films, because they see a lot of the GSDs! There are a total of 420 SBTs that have been screened for HD by the OFA, over 30 years or so, which means that any given radiologist is unlikely to have seen more than a few of them.

That said, I don't think breeding a Fair to a Fair necessarily means going downhill. It depends very much on why the dog was rated as Fair. Fair is a passing rating! If the coverage is good, and the joint reasonably tight, I would not worry about dysplasia at all, even if the OFA does find some persnickety reason to rate the hips as "Fair". ;)

We can't do anymore than guess about the OP's dog, since the films are poor, and none of us are OFA radiologists, so this is all just general information.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:37 pm

GoingPostal wrote:Ok now I'm curious, I had Jersey's hips done mostly just because although we would like to do some weight pull, the x rays are clear but not the best positioned from what I've read, vet said they looked good, I didn't have them ofa checked since she's just a pet dog. Good, bad? I don't know how to read x rays.

Jersey's hips look fine, the positioning isn't perfect, but adequate. I'd guess they might get a "Fair", but it might be "Good", hard for anyone but an OFA radiologist to say.

Notice, btw, that the necks of Jersey's femurs are also definitely longer than Tully's. This shows why OFA radiologists might have trouble properly interpreting SBT films... though they are supposed to take breed structure into account, I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that they are unaware that familiarity with APBT/AST structure doesn't equal familiarity with SBT structure.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 am

Red Chrome wrote:Ask the vet before their appointment for copies of them. I took the original from both clinics and had copies made. After so long the vets here throw the Rads out so I kept the originals for my files.

No vet appointment. Health clinics. Too expensive otherwise. I'll ask, though.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:22 pm

I had Rex's hips done and found out he has HD which sucks...but at least I know now.

Also Red Chrome...dont take things to personal but when you post hip xrays of a dog you say your going to breed you have to expect people to voice their opinion on the xray...doesnt mean you have to follow it :)

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:26 pm

lauren99 wrote:I had Rex's hips done and found out he has HD which sucks...but at least I know now.

Also Red Chrome...dont take things to personal but when you post hip xrays of a dog you say your going to breed you have to expect people to voice their opinion on the xray...doesnt mean you have to follow it :)

I do take it personally when I'm told that he's not breed-worthy and other things. I appreciated the opinions on the x-rays, I didn't need the other crap with it. The x-rays are chocolate and will be re-done.

Everyone can forget that he exists as I'm no longer posting about him here. To everyone on here he doesn't exist anymore.

Courtney

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Aww that sucks..I really like Judge. Other than pit bulls I have always loved GSD...hence why I have Ceaser lol..I hope you change your mind or at least post pics of him :sad:

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Red Chrome wrote:
lauren99 wrote:I had Rex's hips done and found out he has HD which sucks...but at least I know now.

I do take it personally when I'm told that he's not breed-worthy and other things. I appreciated the opinions on the x-rays, I didn't need the other crap with it. The x-rays are chocolate and will be re-done.

Everyone can forget that he exists as I'm no longer posting about him here. To everyone on here he doesn't exist anymore.

Courtney

Why would someone saying he is not breedworthy bother you? You don't know if he's breedworthy either. He may be good enough but he may not be as well.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 pm

buckaroo wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:

Courtney

Why would someone saying he is not breedworthy bother you? You don't know if he's breedworthy either. He may be good enough but he may not be as well.

I bought a show quality/breeding quality puppy. Having my dog bashed is not a cool thing. He is Breed-worthy pending health testing.

That's all for this thread. I'm asking a mod to lock it up. I can handle a lot of things but bashing my dog is NOT one of them!

Courtney

BTW- Thanks Lauren but it will make it easier for me not too. You could join the shepherd central forum!!

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

You are being pretty sensitive. You don't know if he's breedworthy. You said it yourself. He has to pass health tests AND get titled. Those are not small things. Currently, your dog is not worthy of being bred. Maybe someday, but not now. That's not bashing, it's truth and you have to admit it.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm

buckaroo wrote:You are being pretty sensitive. You don't know if he's breedworthy. You said it yourself. He has to pass health tests AND get titled. Those are not small things. Currently, your dog is not worthy of being bred. Maybe someday, but not now. That's not bashing, it's truth and you have to admit it.

This dog will have no problem with titles!!! Also, his health testing is pending until he turns 2 BUT he was sold as a BREEDing/Show QUALITY puppy which he is. Someone telling me that he isn't who has never evaluated him and or even seen him is freaking stupid.

YES as of right NOW he is breed worthy!!!! Until I have some testing saying that he's NOT!!

MODS- Please lock this up. I can't take my dog being bashed by people!

Courtney

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:52 pm

So you agree. Judge is not worthy of being bred until he proves that he is. This is all anybody has ever said. How is it bashing?

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:08 pm

buckaroo wrote:So you agree. Judge is not worthy of being bred until he proves that he is. This is all anybody has ever said. How is it bashing?

OK....Read again...HE IS BREEDWORTHY UNTIL HEALTH TESTING PROVES OTHERWISE IF IT EVER DOES.

IT IS BASHING WHEN SOMEONE HAS A SHOW QUALITY BREEDING QUALITY PUPPY AND PEOPLE WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE DOG SAY THAT HE ISN'T BREED WORTHY. I'M DONE HERE.

COURTNEY

Return to “Health Issues”