Another Dog Food Thread

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Another Dog Food Thread

Postby SonnysMomma » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Ok, so I have been doing some research, as we are going to start transitioning SOnny off of SD. I have read through several threads where I have found a list of high quality, natural kibbles. I then noted on each one the different negative comments I read throughout the threads.

So here is my list. If anyone has any negatives about one, please let me know. I am trying to narrow down my search as much as possible.

Also, I do know that one dog might do great on one kibble and another might not. But, I am just trying to make the best decision, as Sonny is having sligh (very small) food allergies.

Canidae, - dogs getting sick off new formula, itchy belly, legs and paws
Taste of the Wild
Innova, - possible colitis, possible runs
Orijen
Wellness - possible colitis, dry kibble, bad breath, nasty teeth, runny poop
Timberwolf
Natural Balance
Solid Gold - gassy, has grains
Natures Variety
Nutro Natural Choice - possible hair thinning
Eagle Pack
Blue Buffalo

So these are my top choices (so far):

Natures Variety
Taste of the Wild
Timber Wolf

Thanks guys!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:32 pm

take timberwolf off your list as they went to crap as well.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:39 pm

If its truly food allergies, Natural balance is the only way to go... and this means NOTHING ELSE or you're wasting your time.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:40 pm

yep, natural balance herring and sweet potato is one of their allergy formulas, i used it on jesse and if it wasnt for her storage mite allergy she would have done excellent on it.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Natural Balance is a good food and my sister feeds it to her dachshund! Her fur is soft and shiny and she is very healthy. She looks great on it.

Taste of the Wild is also a good food and makes dogs fur nice and shiny. Natures Variety seems like a great food too.

I would not feed Caindae because I heard it was causing a lot of health problems in dogs with the new formula.

Here is a site that rates foods:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Lara
Newborn Bully

Postby Lara » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:14 pm

I have fed Taste of the Wild to my fosters and the results were amazing.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:If its truly food allergies, Natural balance is the only way to go... and this means NOTHING ELSE or you're wasting your time.

Yep. Khan is on Natural Balance fish and sweet potato and he does great on it.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Do you know what her allergies are? If not I would try and find out exactly what she is allergic to so you can avoid it in her food. I hear good things about Natural Balance, I personally dont like the low protein amount but if it works it works.
I would personally nix the Nutro.
I also wanted to point out that food does not cause colitis, colitis in dogs is caused by stress, infections or parasites. Colitis may also not be any of these things, if none of those are found, like in humans, they dont know what causes it.

I highly recommend Natures Variety, I feed their raw food sometimes and its really good. Have you ever thought about feeding Raw? If she does have food allergies it would probably be the easiest way to handle them, plus it doesnt cost more then the high end kibbles do.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 am

starrlamia wrote: If she does have food allergies it would probably be the easiest way to handle them, plus it doesnt cost more then the high end kibbles do.

It depends on where you lvie, as raw is a heck of a lot more expensive to feed her in Maryland then high end kibbles

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 am

I suppose it does depend on where you live. But there are Raw groups online that can help with either co-ops or where you can buy meat in bulk at lower prices.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:08 am

HE, has never been to the doctor for allergies....the only allergy problem I see his his paws, being so pink (from irritation). It could be the food, or it could be the grass or anything else.

But I was planning on taking him off SD anyways and wanted to go with a good food that is good for allergies too...he has very sensitive skin.

I am still reading up on raw...dont know enough yet, to know if it will be more expensive than kibbles or not. Will keep reading into it.

As for the Colitis...I was just jotting down comments that people had said about that specific food.

Thanks Guys

I think its been the Natural Balance and Natures Variety

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:47 pm

OK,. so which one of the Natural Balance would one suggest

Sweet Potato & Venison
Sweet Potato & Fish
Potato & Duck

The Duck and Fish have more protein than the Venison, but not much more....this is crazy all the different types and stuff!!

I think I am leaning towards the SP & Venison...

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Oh, and is there something I could throw in his food with his kibbles....only because the NB is lot more expensive than the SD and that way, we can string it out...

Or I guess we could do BARF one time a day and kibble the other time...I just want to do the best for him, but dont want to kill our pockets either!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Ok, sorruy for the QUAD post...but I am looking at NV's formula and they have ALOT more protein in theirs...

HOw do I figure how much protein, calories, omega3 and all that stuff he needs?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:03 pm

It really depends on age, activity levels and health..
I personally alway recommend high protein, low carb diets.
Dogs can get energy from meat and animal fat so you wont have to worry about less carbs. Most diets, esp high ends will provide a balanced nutrition for him so you wont need to worry much about that.
Some people say not to feed kibble and raw together, and some people do it. It really depends on the dog, but if you do I would suggest raw one day, then kibble the next rather then both in the same day.
Also.. you could just suppliment some raw meat or raw meaty bones into his diet here and there if you dont want to do full raw or half raw. I give Grendel raw meat as treats a few times a week and I get fresh marrow bones from the grocery store that he loves to pieces.

Return to “Health Issues”