How to get the "nast outdoor dog" smell off your d

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
deviben3

How to get the "nast outdoor dog" smell off your d

Postby deviben3 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:54 am

i just got this male pit, and i've washed him twice, and i mean good hard core scrubbing, i've used regular dawn soap and dog shampoo and none have worked to get out that dog smell. he was an outside down and i don't think he ever had a bath in his life...what would get that smell out? please help...he can't stay in the house until it's GONE!

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:54 am

i was wondering the same thing, i just cant get that smell out of my female even thou she is only 10 weeks old

camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:49 am

We use no tears baby shampoo (johnsons) followed by an oatmeal conditioner and jergons no sent lotion once a week. Phoebe plays in the dirt, grass mudd daily and either we have gotten used to it or she doesn't smell. non dog owners come to our house often and I have asked them and they comment on how the house doesn't smell like dog. The only time it smells is when she eats somthing that comes out via gas form. WOOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEE

My wife used to complain about me, but now Im off the hook :) :)

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:13 am

Maybe it is what he is eating. I noticed on certain foods my dogs are kinda stinkyer and even feel greesey. Since I have been rotating their foods regularly they aren't.

camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:22 am

satanscheerleader wrote:Maybe it is what he is eating. I noticed on certain foods my dogs are kinda stinkyer and even feel greesey. Since I have been rotating their foods regularly they aren't.

What do you mean by rotating food regulary? Everytime we switched foods the poor dog had an upset tummy unless we switched food types/brands over a period of time.

mypitbulls
Newborn Bully

Postby mypitbulls » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:56 am

These are the areas that can produce an odor in a dog. the skin, the teeth and oral cavity, (and skin around the mouth), the ears, the digestive tract, the urinary tract and genital area, and the anal area and anal glands. Can you pinpoint an area that the odor is coming from? Typically a "doggy odor" is a skin problem, and may be an infection. You should take you dog to your veterinarian for a exam. Since the odor is not going away when you bathe it.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:59 am

My dogs have always carried in a bit of a wet dog odor when they come in from outdoors. Its generally temporary, and goes away after 5-10 minutes inside. But I can vouch for the diet affecting how a dog smells. Our dogs have become less smelly over the years as we've become more educated dog owners, and upgraded to better foods. Loki generally has little to no odor about her.

I've also noticed that males can be smellier than females. Jedi -- an intact male -- gives off a musky odor whenever he's around Loki (a female). He generally smells less pleasant than her, even when he doesn't have her exciting his, uh, maleness. :) Not horrible. Just more "doggy" than her.

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:34 am

Ditto to what everyone else said!
It's possible his ears are stinky too. Lucy was really ripe lately, and that was the culprit. If you have never cleaned out your dogs' ears before, ask your vet to show you how.

I swear by Cloud Star Buddy Wash. www.cloudstar.com

You can buy it online, and they also sell it at Trader Joe's, if you have one in your area.

deviben3

"dog odor"

Postby deviben3 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:40 am

Thanks for all the info everyone. The smell is just coming from his coat, like i said, i don't think has has ever had a bath in his life. i just got him a couple days ago..He was fed a poor quality dog food before i got him, now i'm slowly switching him over to blackgold high protein, high fat...I also heard that a vinager water mix would do wonders for getting away that "dog odor"?? any thoughts on that? thanks.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:54 pm

Food is the primary cause for dog odor. Brushing him regularly will also distribute the oils more evenly. Is he neutered? Being intact can make them smell more.

Careful with too much bathing. Don't use dish soap, it's too harsh for their skin, it can cause him to itch and scratch terribly. Going from low quality to higher quality food can also cause them to smell more. It takes time for their system to get rid of all the crap from the low quality food. Dry, brittle coat, greasy skin, real smelly. It can take up to 3 weeks for that to go away. Sometime less, sometimes more.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:01 pm

camfather wrote:
satanscheerleader wrote:Maybe it is what he is eating. I noticed on certain foods my dogs are kinda stinkyer and even feel greesey. Since I have been rotating their foods regularly they aren't.

What do you mean by rotating food regulary? Everytime we switched foods the poor dog had an upset tummy unless we switched food types/brands over a period of time.

Well....I feed my dogs in kind of a weird way. I find this works really good cause the change over is so gradual and they get the benefits of what different foods have to offer. It has worked well with my dogs and two of them have somewhat sensitive digestion. But yes...it definitely has to be gradual if your dog is sensutive. This is what I wrote in a different thread.....
"I definitely feel more comfortable with the more "natural foods" like Canidae, Natural Balance, California Natural, Azmira, Solid Gold, Wellness, etc... but because I believe variety is the key to a healthy diet and no one food can do it all, I have my own method that seems to work well. Since I have 5 dogs I buy a few different kinds and rotate their food. When I open the first bag I start mixing in a measuring cup full of the second bag. By the time the first bag is empty it mostly consists of what was in the second bag. I still have some left of the second bag so I start adding the third kind to that bag. Sort of like what you do when switching to a new food gradually but I do that continuosly."
I'd have to agree with the males being stinkier sometimes. My son who is 8 has complains that my male is stinkier than the girls and that he feels greasier.

Fish

Postby Fish » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:21 pm

Deviben, you said you had been using Dawn to bath your dog, I would avoid this type soap. My sister had been using this to bath her Lab and it had a bad skin rash because of it. She has gone to a milder soap and the problem has just about claered up. Puppies are bad about smelling, (well, like puppies) one thing that I have found that will help, if only for a short time, is using a conditionier on the dog after bathing,makes them smell good lol.

Return to “Health Issues”