Riding in the car

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Awesome_PIT

Riding in the car

Postby Awesome_PIT » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:03 pm

What do you guys do with your dogs in the car when they are not in a crate?? Sometimes Champ relaxes and just looks out the window, but sometimes he will cry and cry the whole way we are going and back? DO you guys have any tricks to help him sit still and relax. I am pretty sure he just gets overly excited.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:17 pm

Luna's learned over time that car rides are fun. As long as Champ doesn't get sick, you could offer him something to keep him busy. We did that until Luna got used to it. Driving a Cavalier doesn't leave much room for crates. lol But a doggie seat belt may also help.

dallas

Postby dallas » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Mac lays his head on my lap and thats the end of it. Aries barks in the backseat the whole time so he doesnt go for many car rides.

r6nikki
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby r6nikki » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:57 pm

apparently if they cry a ton, and wont relax, sometimes if you put them on the floor, the vibrations of the car will have a calming affect. My little guy cries for the first 30 seconds and then passes out cold until the car stops running.

pigbull
Matured Bully

Postby pigbull » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:33 pm

I tought I was the only one!!! Jessie whines and whines for hours in the car, we tried comforting her, telling her to be silent (she knows the command), giving her her favorite toy, but she still cryed the whole time and drove us NUTS!!!

So we asked our vet if there was something we could use to calm her down and she prescribed Acevet. I feel guilty cause it knocks her out (you can tell she's on drugs, she has sleepy eyes and she gets super quiet), so last time we saw the vet we asked for something else, Nutricalm (it's a mix of herbs and natural products in pills) and we tried it Saturday for the 1 1/2 hour drive to my MIL's... She cried half of the time...

It's crazy because Jessie didn't whine when we first got her, it's when we started to bring her to the dog park (we don't do that anymore) that she started the crying thing. Now it's any time she rides in the car.

The only thing we haven't tried is give her her marrow bone in the car... If we had her in a crate maybe, but on the comforter, it's kinda gross... And the smell...

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:38 pm

When BB was really little she used to puke in the car, but we gradually got her used to it. However, BB doesn't just put her head in my lap, she tries to sit in my lap, while I am driving! Needless to say, this is not very safe.

I push her back over in "her" seat but she is still really fidgety in the car. As someone else mentioned, it does seem to calm her to sit on the floor of the front seat (the passenger side, of course).

The only problem with this would be in the unlikely event that the airbag went off.

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:43 pm

rufus will go to sleep in the back seat, jesse will go in the back seat or the way back in the cargo area, and sonny just sits on the back seat watching everything.

moto1320

Postby moto1320 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:55 pm

Doc is perfect in the car, he curls up and sacks out right away in the front seat. Daisy is a dork, she stands up in the front seat and leans all the way forward like she's in a Superman stance and rests her head on the dash...and stays like that, or curls up in my lap on long trips and sleeps on the steering wheel making me make really long wide turns so as to not wake her.... :roll:
Riley tired to attack people approaching the car when stopped and puked his brains out if moving.No go....we walked. He dug the convertible though and seemed to enjoy popping his head out of the top on the freeway and making his lips flap.go figure.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:11 pm

All the girls are good in the car. Tank on the other hand is a nightmare. He is so excited to be going in the car {he LOVES it} he whines and fidgets and drools the WHOLE time. The whining is just enough to drive you nuts. If he sees anyone on the street or makes eye contact with anyone in another car he starts whining louder and trying to get their attention because he is just SO SURE it is one of his best friends and he has to say hi. Seriously annoying.

DozersMom

Postby DozersMom » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:29 pm

Dozer is usually really great in the truck. He just sits in his seat and stares out the window. He'll do anything for a ride in the truck. BUT we always carry a container of treats with us incase he gets distracted :) Always need a backup plan.

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:07 am

Gosh, when 'Cane was little, he would cry the whole time he was in the car, until he realized tha usually when we get in the car, he gets to do fun stuff....... But now, they just watch the scenary, and snort at the wind!!! I love it when they get a gust of air in their jowls and they puff up!!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:26 am

Luckily both my pit bull females don't make a peep in the SUV.If they are both on board, one lays in her crate and the other sleeps in the bench behind my sit, with her car harness on.I am very glad of that, especially if I drive for many hours.
But here is a trick to make them stop whining..let them drive! ;)

kendall
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kendall » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:42 am

moto1320 wrote:Doc is perfect in the car, he curls up and sacks out right away in the front seat. Daisy is a dork, she stands up in the front seat and leans all the way forward like she's in a Superman stance and rests her head on the dash...and stays like that, or curls up in my lap on long trips and sleeps on the steering wheel making me make really long wide turns so as to not wake her.... :roll:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who lets my dog in the front seat. I got (mildly) chastised by someone awhile ago for that. Although their reason was airbags... and as you know, my car doesn't have airbags. :)

Combine Doc and Daisy and you have how Levi rides. He's wonnerful. On long trips (anything over about 45 minutes) he sacks out in the passenger seat and only wakes up when we start to slow down. On short trips, he sits in the passenger seat like a person and watches the world go by, or stands up with his head on the dash. If Josh and I are both in the car and Levi is banished to the back seat... he will stand in the back seat and rest his head on my shoulder.
I have to admit that on the trip out here from Maine I did let him curl up in my lap a lot of the time... I can only do that in the Citation though. My legs are too short to let him do that in a standard-- I have to have the seat up too close just to be able to push the clutch in. :oops:

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:34 am

I think people must look into our car and think "Man.... that guy really loves his dog!" cause the dogs always ride shot gun with my boyfriend driving and me and the two kids in the back. They are actually my dogs {well except for Q now his new adopted pit} but I always sit in the back to tend to the baby and so the dogs don't step on or lie on the baby.

Daisy_D

Postby Daisy_D » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:28 am

Daisy walks around looking out the windows. The only place I won't let her go is on my lap while I'm driving. I really need to get her a car harness.

Return to “Training and Behavior”