More flea problems

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

More flea problems

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:34 pm

Little background on Loki here. She is on Frontline, gets garlic in her food, and gets a flea bath whenever I feel its necessary. I also have an indoor cat who is mostly confined to his own room (generally because I like to leave the door open so Loki can go in and out). He's been treated for fleas, but isn't on a flea preventative right now. I can't tell whether or not he's got fleas because his fur is so thick.

The fleas I keep seeing on Loki are very small, smaller than the average dog flea I've seen. Is it possible she's got cat fleas? I've been told before that dogs and cats will not get the same type of fleas. She sure doesn't pick up a lot of them, but its enough to make her scratch herself bloody.

And just in case the fleas are in the yard, where can I get this Dia...something Earth? :oops: Also, will this stuff work in carpet, or does it need to be strictly outside?

Thanks.

nessa
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nessa » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:38 pm

Dog fleas and cat fleas are not picky. They will take what's available.
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5b.htm

Diatomaceous Earth

http://www.herbalremedies.com/diatomaceous.html?source=google&engine=adwords!32&keyword=%28diatomaceous+earth%29&match_type=

You can probably buy it at Home Depot, any garden store, or Lowes as well.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:50 pm

My suggestion would be to continue them on flea preventative for an extended period. If they have no hosts they will eventually die. Also, I would use frontline plus. With frontline plus fleas with die if they even come in contact with hair your dog has shed.

Also if you really think that they may not be fleas ask your vet to take a look. If it's a different type of external parasite a different product may be needed. Usually you can go to the vets and have a tech take a peek.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:58 pm

I have not asked the vet, but it does sound like cat fleas. They are smaller black, look different then the brownish, larger dog fleas. They aren';t picky either, dog or cat, they just chow down.

pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:00 pm

If the cat's not on a preventative then I'd fix that in a hurry. The cat is your most likely culprit.

whiskeyman

Postby whiskeyman » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:14 pm

If you see a few there are many!!!

jeremy

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:48 pm

Diatomacious earth is very dusty and it's not really a good idea to breath a lot of it. I would use it outside, not in the house. Get the boric acid for inside. The cyrstals are easier to deal with than the powder. You can find different manufacturers by doing a search........

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:54 am

Thanks for all the info. Loki is on Frontline Plus, I just never remember to call it that. I'd like to get Kiba (the cat) on something equally good, its just not in the budget this week. As soon as possible, though, because the last thing I need is a real infestation.

Return to “Health Issues”