Treadmill training.

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.

Treadmill Training.

I had to train my dog to use the treadmill.
23%
My dog required no training at all on the treadmill.
No votes
I dont have a treadmill.
77%

Total votes: 26

Other

Treadmill training.

Postby Other » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:31 pm

Ok, I just built a treadmill (everything but the carpet, pics will be in the gallery later)

Was just wondering how many people had to train there dogs to use the treadmill and how many just used it naturally.
Please take the poll!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:33 pm

I don't have a treadmill, but I want one. I got to put Loki on a slatmill at the ADBA Nationals, and she ran flat-out for about 10 seconds because she was scared of the belt moving under her. Then she stopped and decided that she wasn't going to move anymore. I was able to encourage her to go a bit more, but it was sporadic.

Right after, a little pup got up and ran that treadmill like a pro. His first time. It was embarassing. lol I guess what I'm trying to say is that some dogs take to it right off; some need to work at it.

satanscheerleader
Addicted to PBF

Postby satanscheerleader » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 pm

Ya..... I've got three here who loved it right off the bat, a couple who are terrified of it and a few that will do it but think it is beneath them to stoop to such a level. lol

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:49 pm

I really want a treadmill.. need oen to hold a 130 lb dog..

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:12 am

satanscheerleader wrote:Ya..... I've got three here who loved it right off the bat, a couple who are terrified of it and a few that will do it but think it is beneath them to stoop to such a level. lol

lol

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:57 am

Ok, I just built a treadmill (everything but the carpet, pics will be in the gallery later)

You mean a carpet mill then.Make sure the carpet runs smoothly, dogs have to dig it in order to make it move.I saw your pics and I suggest you to put a top pole on top of it, where you will attach a chain set up.Dogs need to be secured to something, to keep them in place and prevented to fall off.No collars but good harnesses.You need boards on the side, decent high, at least to your dog shoulders.You probably though of this already.
Training for carpet mills...some dogs enjoy it and some other you can motivate to work but if the dog doesn't really like it then it won't move.One of my girls charges it as soon as she hops on, the other girl does better on the electric mill.The first time you put the dog on make sure he doesn't jump out or get hurt.Once he start moving the carpet will move and many dogs sort of freak out and tend to run faster.It takes a little while to understand that what makes the carpet move is them.Then they find the right pace.
Have a foot on the carpet and slow it down, then release and slow it down again.With a new dog I stay by the side and have a hand on the harness so I can lift the dog's front and make it slow down.I encourage and praise.If the dog is not freaking out I move to the front and clap my hands and regulate the speed with my foot.You can bait with a toy if your dog has a toy he go nuts for.
I start with a few seconds, get the dog off and play for a minute or two, then it goes back on.I increase the time slowly.I had no major problems with my dogs so there wasn't much training.
Have you measured your dog's lenght? You always have to add some space front and back, the dog will move back and forth a little so you don't want him to step on the edges.It helps regulating the chain attachment as well, a bit of slack is necessary but not enough for the dog to reach both ends of the mill.

---------------------------

Ice ATTS/CGC: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Tigger ATTS: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Jack the foster: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:11 am

You need a poll thingy that says "some needed training and some didn't"... that has been my experience. Couple have started as young as 4 months, some wouldn't start till almost a year.

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:12 am

we have a slat mill and the dogs love it, cant wait top get on it.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:12 pm

I was just wondering if you can use a human treadmill for a dog? Cesar Milan's show gave me the idea even though he said "don't try this at home". This would be great for me and my dogs, since some days it's too damn cold or hot out to walk.

shadyridge

Postby shadyridge » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:09 am

you could convert it for dogs.

jaygirl
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jaygirl » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:59 am

How could I convert it?

I wanted an all in one treadmill. That the dogs and I could use.

aznchipmunk
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby aznchipmunk » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:16 pm

my boy loved the treadmill, but come show time, he walked a little funny, and the judge immediately caught it...he said "you've been using a treadmill huh? hand walk him from now on, it'll correct is walk and its good conditioning" and the pitbull gazette has an article this month about show conditioning and it says hand walk hand walk hand walk!!!

so....no more treadmill for me!!

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:15 pm

you could do both.. i would if i could get a tread mill...

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:49 pm

How could I convert it?

I wanted an all in one treadmill. That the dogs and I could use.

It is very easy to convert it.Mine was bought for the dogs and it would be too much hassle to take everything down, for me to use it.

Here is a video of Tigger on it, ignore the other nosy buttheads around.

http://media.putfile.com/Picture215

---------------------------

Ice ATTS/CGC: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Tigger ATTS: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723
Jack the foster: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=738723

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:55 pm

how'd u do that? gotta love the wiggle butts:

Return to “Training and Behavior”