Experienced weight-pullers....

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Hosh

Experienced weight-pullers....

Postby Hosh » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:10 am

First off, i want to say that I have questions, and i have searched for answers :oops: But honestly i don't feel like spending three hours searching diffrent posts answering my questions.
anyways, My male pitbull is 1.5 years old and he is neutard. I really want to teach him to weight pull but i honestly don't know a whole lot about the sport. I bassicly need to know exactly what i would need and how much it would cost me. With that said, i am sure they cant learn over night but at the same time I don't want to go out and buy loads of equiptment, then not be able to teach/train him how to use it. I have a vision that he would stand there and look at me crazy. So my second question is, How do you teach your dog to weight pull?
I read in a different post (that i read while i was searching! lol) that the ADBA doesnt allow neutard dogs in competition? If what i think i read is correct are their anybody who will?
thanks you, and sorry this was so long, hahaha.
-Hosh

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:23 am

My male pitbull is 1.5 years old and he is neutard.

Sorry but you wrote NEUTARD twice on your post and I couldn't help it but laugh!! roflmao It is neutered, funny typo.

Some info for you: http://www.apbtconformation.com/weight_pulling.htm#THE%20FIRST%20STEP:%20INTRODUCING%20DOG%20TO%20HARNESS

Hosh

Postby Hosh » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:24 am

lol pardon my Kentucky-ness.

and thank you for the link, im learning a lot.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:43 am

That's a great link to learn from.

As for what its going to cost you... Expect to pay probably $50-75 for a good harness. Use an old leash to hook the weights to the harness. Drag weights can be made out of all kinds of standard household junk (milk jugs, chains, old tires, etc.) If you want to buy a drag sled, they range up to around $100, I think. (Unless you know a welder who can throw one together for you. My husband made me a tiny one that can hold about 50 lbs of weight that is just perfect for my girl.) If you want to buy a garden cart to practice on (requires 2 people), its around $65 or so. Some people even build their own rails systems. (No idea how much that would cost.)

So up to about $240 for a good set of equipment. All you really need to start off is a good harness. (I like CD Pits.) You can obtain or build a lot of the other stuff yourself, depending on how inclined you are. You'll be spending quite a bit of time just getting your dog acclimated to the harness and the sensation/noise of things dragging behind him, so I wouldn't run out and buy everything at once.

As for his lack of testicles, you can still pull, just not with the ADBA yet. Here are some links to clubs/registries that will let you pull.

United Kennel Club
International Weight Pull Assn.
American Pulling Alliance

Hosh

Postby Hosh » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:51 am

thanks bahamutt, exactly what i was looking for.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:52 am

Glad to be of service. I'm a big fan of the sport myself, and like to see others getting into it. Plus, the more people who pull spayed/neutered, maybe we can get some pressure on the ADBA to let us pull over there, too. :))

Ivan and Savoy

Postby Ivan and Savoy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:10 pm

i just ordered a harness from cdpits.com
ur dog (in most places-ADBA) have to have papers and etc. Im trying to start something up in FL, for some "fun" weight pull, but i dopnt think u live in FL> or want travel here. (its not a popular dog sport in the southern states)
but anyhow, good luck if u want to do some weight pull!

Hosh

Postby Hosh » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:46 pm

yeah im up here in Louisville KY,
i was looking on the cdpits site. my only concern before i buy it is that i will get an in-accurate measuring. I mean do the measurings have to be absolutly perfect?

Frost

Postby Frost » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:50 pm

Hosh wrote:yeah im up here in Louisville KY,
i was looking on the cdpits site. my only concern before i buy it is that i will get an in-accurate measuring. I mean do the measurings have to be absolutly perfect?

try to get them as close to exact as you can. the diagram on the site is really good, i had a very easy time measuring. its easier if you have a tape measure, and arent just using a bit of string and then holding it up to a ruler. fingers can slip, etc :(

but no. if you are off by half an inch, its not going to hurt the dog. just dont be off by more than an inch for the chest measurements (pretty sure the one going over the back and down to the rear outer thigh is just for total length and you can get crazy with that one)

I LOVE my Cd Pits harness! :peace:

Return to “Training and Behavior”