RE-INTRODUCING 2 DOGS AFTER A FIGHT

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lisaresser

RE-INTRODUCING 2 DOGS AFTER A FIGHT

Postby lisaresser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:03 pm

I WAS WONDERING IF A MUZZLE WOULD WORK TO RE-INTRODUCE A DOG AFTER A DOG FIGHT. MY 2 GIRLS HAVE BEEN SEPARATED NOW FOR ABOUT A MONTH. I WAS THINK MAYBE IF I MUZZLED THE ONE THAT IS AGRESSIVE TOWARDS THE OTHER AND PUT THEM TOGETHER MAYBE I COULD MAKE THEM GET ALONG?????????????????????? PROBABLY NOT. I JUST WONDERED WHAT EVERYONE'S THOUGHTS WERE ON THIS.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Please take your caps off. Sorry, its harder to read that way, and i believe its against the rules.

Anyway, i have heard that using a muzzle actually adds to the stress level already present. I would put one dog in a crate and the other out and let them introduce themselves that way, once they stop paying attention to each other you could try putting them in the same room, i would leash both of them so its easier to pull them off, but dont keep the leash tight, it needs to be loose leash.

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:21 pm

sorry. my caplocks button is broken off so unless ihold down the shift key while i type< it stays on.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:21 pm

I thought that might be the problem. lol

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:23 pm

how serious of a fight was it?

I have 3 dogs and they get into minor scraps almost every other day..

no big deal and they dont take it personally.

was it a major fight? please give a little more detail. sometimes after a major fights dogs will NEVER be able to get along again.

more info please

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:33 pm

it was bad. my baby girl is just over a year old. my other girl is just 9 months. baby girl almost tore her ear off this last time. there were 4 fights total before we separated them permanently>

i am having a hard time with my keyboard> now my spacebar is sticking bad too>>> shoot! i"ll go into more detail later when iget another one> it is too hard to type this way>>> :sad:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:38 pm

How are they acting around each other now? Are they tense, are they acting like it's not a big deal to be around each other? Are they ever around each other at this point?

lisaresser

Postby lisaresser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:43 pm

the only time they are together is when they see eachother though the fence. baby girl stares her down and her tail is up in the air> the othe girl tucks her butt under and just stares

48lawsofpower

Postby 48lawsofpower » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Im not an expert on the subject, but I can tell you this from experience. As long as they arent tensed up and looking aggressive you could see how they do. The thing is sometimes something little starts a fight. It could be something as small as one of them will step on the others foot or walk past a toy that they like.

I have 2 males and a female and they get into minor scraps sometimes, it freaks my girlfriend out but they dont hold grudges. Keep in mind sometimes female/female combos in dogs are the worst for fights, at least thats what Ive heard.

its just my opinion but I would never muzzle one of my dogs and not have the other one muzzled. actually I would never muzzle my dogs period. but thats just my opinion

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:13 pm

placing muzzle on one dog and not on the other, might actually aggitate the unmuzzled one to attack. I'd muzzle both and take them for a several mile walk.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:13 pm

lisaresser wrote:it was bad. my baby girl is just over a year old. my other girl is just 9 months. baby girl almost tore her ear off this last time. there were 4 fights total before we separated them permanently>

i am having a hard time with my keyboard> now my spacebar is sticking bad too>>> shoot! i"ll go into more detail later when iget another one> it is too hard to type this way>>> :sad:

time to go to Best Buy.....lol

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:50 pm

I will also put in a disclaimer that I am not an expert either lol
But if they do not act like they are fired up, I would slowly try reintroducing them to each other with no triggers around (food, toys, bones, etc.). Keep a collar on each of them and a break stick around for if anything jumps off.

When mine got into a spat, I upped the obedience a LOT around each other...I made them do long downs close to each other (this tends to be a calming position for my dogs), and practiced quick sits, using lots of praise and keeping the atmosphere calm and peaceful. I want them to look to me if a potential problem jumps off before they get TOO fired, and not to themselves to solve it. I have Vicki (who gets fired up easily) to the point where she looks at me if she sees she's getting too hyper with Solomon.

One of the most important things you can do is to stay calm yourself...they will pick up on it if you don't.

I don't know if you have another person in the household, but if you do, I would start taking them on long walks together as Siberian suggested.

Hope this helps some...I realize all dogs and situations are different.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:27 am

Did you see the fight happening?From moment one to the end?
Deciding to reintroduce two dogs after a fight is a case by case thing.
If there were triggers like toys or food laying around , or it was the result of redirection over excitement then probably the dogs can be together again, after all trigger are removed.
Can you describe what happened in details?Saying it was "bad" doesn't say much.
My females scrapped before, without injuries.No grudges held and they went back to normal scheduling.I figured the reasons for the few scraps so they did not happen again.Someting different than normal triggers but a reason for them to fire up.My foster male, on the other hand, got my little dog (also a male) on hold, once.It took a breaking stick to get them apart and they have never been together since then.I don't plan on any introduction in the future, it would be a major risk.What I saw left no doubt.There were no triggers, it just happened after 10 months of peacefulness.
Often scraps are a lot of noise without damage but in certain situations one of the dogs simply try to kill each other.If there is no apparent reason chances are that one of the two decided it doesn't like the other anymore.This happens mostly among dogs of the same sex.Not much to do about it.

But if they do not act like they are fired up, I would slowly try reintroducing them to each other with no triggers around (food, toys, bones, etc.).

That is a good indicator most of the times, the dogs ignoring each others in the household, behind a gate or crate.Then you have cases like Jack the bastard who is able to make no peep around my little dog, when they are separated.Not even on feeding time, separated by a metal gate.Jack often sleeps by Toby's crate at night, with me in the room, and if you happen to spend some time with them during the day you would not think there is the need of permanent separation.Jack is a dog who doesn't posture much so it is harder to tell what's in his mind.If I open the crate and let the little dog out it would be a mess.
What happened in their case wasn't a silly scrap caused by something predictable.Jack simply decided he would try to kill the old man.Something you just have to live with.

I WAS THINK MAYBE IF I MUZZLED THE ONE THAT IS AGRESSIVE TOWARDS THE OTHER AND PUT THEM TOGETHER MAYBE I COULD MAKE THEM GET ALONG??

If you use the muzle thing you muzzle both dogs.The muzzle only prevent the biting but if a dog goes after the other there can be pawing, body slamming and, more important, tension.The non aggressive dog can very well react to the tension of display of aggression of the other dog.Your aggressive female getting bit while she can't defend herslef is a good receipt for very less chance of them getting along ever.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:20 am

I agree that if you use a muzzle you use it on both dogs. That way it is fair and they are on equal footing.

If they have been separated 24/7, I would treat them like they have never met before. Have one person walk one dog, another person walk the other. Use muzzles if you wish, but the big control factor will be the leashes. Walk for a while outside on neutral territory, and observe their behavior.

If they are ok out there, try it inside. I would have 2 people present just in case. And make sure there is nothing they could fight over (triggers). The big ones are food, toys, etc, but sometimes your attention (petting one dog and not the other) is all it takes.

Are both females spayed?

~Lindsay~

Return to “Training and Behavior”