leads or harnesses

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
schlow

leads or harnesses

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:14 pm

I was just wondering for when my pitbull comes home which would be better? lead or harness? i was thinking harness for better control but some guy at work was telling me they don't like them really? i dunno, which is best? do they even do them for puppies!?

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:15 pm

lol i obv mean either just lead n collar or lead n harness...shh! im tired! only just got back from work!
:oops:

bullylady
Super Bully

Postby bullylady » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:18 pm

use either one. just remember that the harness was created to allow a dog to pull comfortably and does nothing to help with teaching a dog leash manners or how to walk nicely on a leash. The harness was originally for sled dogs and such to allow them to pull weight without discomfort, just something to consider..... so if you don't care about leash training him, then use whatever you like.

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:24 pm

yeah i want to leash train him. so for teaching him leash training im better off not using a harness? i thought the harness was for control so the owner could pull the dog back easier with less effort and more choking the dog. didn't know that, interesting fact.

bullylady
Super Bully

Postby bullylady » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:36 pm

they are def. not a training tool by any means, at least in my opinion. as far as leash training, I always recommend to everyone with pit bull puppies to attend a puppy obedience class. among other things, they can help to explain the different types of training tools out there and more imortantly how to use them correctly.

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:43 pm

ah right ok. i will be attending classes with my puppy. ok thanks for the info!

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:57 pm

sorry just another quick question, i saw (while i was browsing the net) those shock things where if they dog barks it shock them. i can't decide if its mean or not, dunno if it even works. my 4 year old dog (mixed with everything lol) barks when someone knocks on the door and hes getting to be abit annoying? are they any good? or is there another way that'd work?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:58 pm

How bout training your dog not to bark??

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:04 pm

rather than being your username. read the actual question. does THAT train my dog? or is there an easier way to train my dog not to bark.

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:18 pm

schlow wrote:rather than being your username. read the actual question. does THAT train my dog? or is there an easier way to train my dog not to bark.

My username has nothing to do with my response. I guess if you call shocking the hell out of your dog everytime it does something wrong training, then yes it trains your dog. But how bout training without those methods first, then as a last resort use the collar. Take a little time out, praise and treat for your dog NOT barking, when they do give verbal negatives (although these dont usually work) but i dont like the fact that people jump to shocking there dogs for inappropriate behavior.

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:22 pm

it was kind of a dick reply. don't mean to be rude but you could have answered alot better than that, i was just wondering if that way actually works. i'll read a book next time, or register again and ask in that name so i wont feel stupid.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:36 pm

Schlow, the shocking bark collars are ineffective at best for 95% of dogs. Most of the dogs that I have seen who have been subjected to this type of collar end up in worse shape than they were to begin with. I have seen dogs who end up with ulcers from the anxiety produced by being shocked for doing something that is totally natural to them. These dogs would cough up blood every time they barked because their throats were so scarred.

For the most part, dogs who bark incessantly do it because they are lonely and/or bored. For the dogs who really only bark when there's a "reason", ie someone at the door, a strange sound outside, etc, the best way to train them is to shape the behavior and show them what YOU feel is appropriate.

My rottie/coonhound knows the command "That's Enough!" which means shut your trap and let me listen. He also knows "Quiet", which means you can growl or chuf, but you may not bark like a rabid beast! Because he enjoys barking so much, we put that on command too and tell him to speak when we know he's going to bark anyway. We trained all of these commands with cookies the same way we taught any other obedience.

Now my APBT doesn't listen for crap. She rarely barks without what I consider a legitimate reason. I personally don't give a rip if the dogs bark when someone is in my driveway or at my front door. But she sometimes continues barking after the person has walked in to my house-even when they are someone she knows. Her issue is a lack of confidence, so with her, we leash her when we know someone is coming in the house and have a boatload of cookies. We get her focus on us (she's a treat whore!) and reward her for watching us and ignoring the guest. When she looks at the guest and makes any noise at all-even a "chuff", we tell her "NO! That's Enough." and wait until she is quietly watching us again. As soon as she is, she gets a "Good girl!" and a cookie. After a few minutes, she is good to go greet the person with enough confidence not to freak out. (She was a rescue pup so she's got a few issues..)

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:41 pm

schlow wrote: i was just wondering if that way actually works.

They basically have microphones that pick up the barking. This triggers the shock. Most will start with a "little" shock and escalate if the dog continues barking. (Don't get me wrong, that "little" shock still hurts like a :po: .) Most collars will also simply turn off and reset if the dog barks for a set amount of time.

Some dogs figure this out and it causes them to just keep barking so that the collar never resets and stops shocking them. Some dogs also figure out that this new no barking rule only applies when the collar with the pokey things is on, and not at any other time.

schlow

Postby schlow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:48 pm

:goodpost: see thats how you give advise! thankyou! hmm i think i'll give the cookie idea a try, hes a good dog really, just barks (growls abit too, not crazily though) when strangers come into our home. like right this second theres a man upstairs fixing our boiling and i have to hold Duke's collar so he doesn't run into the kitchen (stairs are in the kitchen) and start barking at the man..he barked at the guy upstairs before and nearly gave him heart attack, hes not a big dog but he looks mean when hes barkin! he keeps growling lightly (sort of under his breath lol) i keep stroking him and saying 'shh shh' and 'good boy Dukie' when hes quiet but then sure enough a minute later hes at it again!?

Big_Ant

Postby Big_Ant » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:57 pm

schlow wrote::goodpost: see thats how you give advise!

Don't be such a smart ass.

He was just trying to help you with his reply. If you need the special bus version, then just ask for it.

It's good that you are asking this info now before you get your pup, but don't go biting the hands that feed you.

- Anthony

Return to “Training and Behavior”