Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Breaking up a fight with 2 or 3 dogs

Postby pits-r-luv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 am

Jellin wrote:Ive broken up alot of dog fights, with dogs that keep coming back. You ever try holding back 2 full grown male pits by yourself? You cant. Ive punched, kicked, gouged, choked, poked, screamed, used a hose, used a breaking stick and many more "methods" of getting 2 or more dogs to let go. Try using your breaking stick on a dog thats in a kennel and managed to grab a dog through the bars. Yea crawl in there and get on thier level with a stick leading the way and see if you dont get bit. Just because you can break up dog fights between YOUR dogs dosnt mean crap to me. I work with 40 pitbulls, all have been abused, beaten and starved. I already know whats coming next, "why dont you take precautions to prevent the fights?" we do. poop happens.

Heres one for you. I was putting up 2 female pits that got along great, in the same room was another pair of dogs that got along great. I was rotating them. As i walked into the room they were boarding in, (both females on leads) I went to put one of the pits up when all of a sudden one of the kenneled dogs lunged and knocked the entire front of his kennel down (he bent the 6 hooks that hold up the side straight) and went straight for one of the dogs. This was a 110lb american bulldog and had the entire head of one of the dogs in his mouth. One of his k9's going into the top of the dogs nose the other behind the ear (yes the dog was huge). I had to allow them to go at it for a split second while i put the dog i still had control of in her cage. This dog was not one you could use any kind of stick on. He attacked brooms, mops, anything like. After holding the dogs heads still as i could for what seemed like forever to reduce the damage to the pits snout, waiting for a release in pressure from the bully's jaws. I did get them broken up, by slapping the bully's ear with my hand cupped. In other words (to all you people who think chocolate dosnt happen) you do what you can to help the dogs from hurting eachother but most importantly from keeping them from HURTING YOU. You dont always have a hose (like inside) or a breaking stick, or a air horn or whatever method you use. :beer:

You have GOT to be kidding. I am a 52 Yrs old woman and have broken up 2 dogs MANY times ALL BY MYSELF. It's called experience and a BREAKSTICK. I have also broken dogs off that had one through a chain link kennel a couple times over the yrs.. A breakstick is invaluable. You stated you were dealing with American Bulldogs and Bullies maybe?
What kind of temperament do your dogs have anyway? Bite YOU? Their master/mistress? Not NO but Hell NO.
Choked, beat, screamed, poked, gouged, poked????? That was your FIRST mistake. Keep your mouth shut and use the dam breakstick. Yelling and screaming only incites the dogs further. They don't even FEEL the pokes and gouges in the heat of the moment. Yes, I understand the weight of the dogs you are dealing with is twice what I am dealing with, but the basics ARE the same. Please. Rethink.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:03 am

Eh, but choking a dog off the other dog is also useful. When you don't have access to a breakstick and you need to get the two separated ASAP, pick the dog with the hold up by the collar. I had to do it when I had a kennel malfunction and another dog was out in the yard. Luckily, the dog who had a hold of the other had a collar on.

Breaksticks are useful if you have someone there to grab a dog, or if you can tie one back. Regardless, you have to be able to KEEP them apart once you've broken them up.

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:40 pm

mommy2kane wrote:Eh, but choking a dog off the other dog is also useful. When you don't have access to a breakstick and you need to get the two separated ASAP, pick the dog with the hold up by the collar. I had to do it when I had a kennel malfunction and another dog was out in the yard. Luckily, the dog who had a hold of the other had a collar on.

Breaksticks are useful if you have someone there to grab a dog, or if you can tie one back. Regardless, you have to be able to KEEP them apart once you've broken them up.

Yes Ma'am you are correct, but you have to learn how to make use of garden gates, doors in the house, car doors, etc.
Simply, if they don't have on a collar, get a rope around the neck of the dog being held, tie it off anyplace convenient, like shut it in a car or truck door, around a fence post, on a riding lawn mower,... you know any place that is stable, and then break the hold with the dog doing the hold. Naturally, you want to always have a collar on your dogs, but sometimes I realize there may be a dog without one.
I have had to break up dogs alone over the yrs and while you don't WANT to do it alone, it can certainly be done. Just sit and think.... if I had to break up 2 dogs RIGHT NOW, what would I use? Take a look at your surroundings, you will be surprised what you can use as a makeshift if you are missing a collar. Do both dogs have on a collar and you are alone?
Cords to an iron? Blender? A kids jump rope? A housecoat tie? How about a spare leash? How about a garden hose if you are outside? Shut that hose up in the truck door. It will hold him/her. The dogs won't kill each other in the time that it takes to prepare to separate them. Then you put the one dog behind closed doors and go tend to the one that is "rigged" up.
Yes, a dog can be choked down. I realize that. But that can cause damage to the trachea as well as brain damage if the dog is anoxic for very long.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:54 pm

pits-r-luv wrote:
Jellin wrote:Ive broken up alot of dog fights, with dogs that keep coming back. You ever try holding back 2 full grown male pits by yourself? You cant. Ive punched, kicked, gouged, choked, poked, screamed, used a hose, used a breaking stick and many more "methods" of getting 2 or more dogs to let go. Try using your breaking stick on a dog thats in a kennel and managed to grab a dog through the bars. Yea crawl in there and get on thier level with a stick leading the way and see if you dont get bit. Just because you can break up dog fights between YOUR dogs dosnt mean crap to me. I work with 40 pitbulls, all have been abused, beaten and starved. I already know whats coming next, "why dont you take precautions to prevent the fights?" we do. poop happens.

Heres one for you. I was putting up 2 female pits that got along great, in the same room was another pair of dogs that got along great. I was rotating them. As i walked into the room they were boarding in, (both females on leads) I went to put one of the pits up when all of a sudden one of the kenneled dogs lunged and knocked the entire front of his kennel down (he bent the 6 hooks that hold up the side straight) and went straight for one of the dogs. This was a 110lb american bulldog and had the entire head of one of the dogs in his mouth. One of his k9's going into the top of the dogs nose the other behind the ear (yes the dog was huge). I had to allow them to go at it for a split second while i put the dog i still had control of in her cage. This dog was not one you could use any kind of stick on. He attacked brooms, mops, anything like. After holding the dogs heads still as i could for what seemed like forever to reduce the damage to the pits snout, waiting for a release in pressure from the bully's jaws. I did get them broken up, by slapping the bully's ear with my hand cupped. In other words (to all you people who think chocolate dosnt happen) you do what you can to help the dogs from hurting eachother but most importantly from keeping them from HURTING YOU. You dont always have a hose (like inside) or a breaking stick, or a air horn or whatever method you use. :beer:

You have GOT to be kidding. I am a 52 Yrs old woman and have broken up 2 dogs MANY times ALL BY MYSELF. It's called experience and a BREAKSTICK. I have also broken dogs off that had one through a chain link kennel a couple times over the yrs.. A breakstick is invaluable. You stated you were dealing with American Bulldogs and Bullies maybe?
What kind of temperament do your dogs have anyway? Bite YOU? Their master/mistress? Not NO but Hell NO.
Choked, beat, screamed, poked, gouged, poked????? That was your FIRST mistake. Keep your mouth shut and use the dam breakstick. Yelling and screaming only incites the dogs further. They don't even FEEL the pokes and gouges in the heat of the moment. Yes, I understand the weight of the dogs you are dealing with is twice what I am dealing with, but the basics ARE the same. Please. Rethink.

ok, you obviously cant read. I work with rescued dogs. I AM NOT THIER MASTER. I WILL NOT TAKE A STICK TO A DOG THAT FOR ONE ISNT MINE-AND FOR SECOND IS NOT A PITBULL. Dealing with your dogs is different than dealing with 2 random dogs. And yes i have been bit while using a break stick. not by the dog i was using it on, but by the other one. Do what works for you when the fight breaks out. not everyone walks around with a billie club on thier belt. I still have not heard a better method here than using an air horn. They are small, LEGAL and disorient the dogs.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:24 pm

oh and for you misunderstanding turds, the slapping the ear does not kill a drive or stop the fight. its just a way ive managed to make the dog "re-grip" so i could pull him off without ripping the other dog up.

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:31 am

Ok. I will give you the point that you deal with Nonpits. That sucker would likely have to be on his own. I have been bitten myself straight through my finger when a stray Lab came into my females chainspot and she latched onto his face. The stray bit me, not mine. Ungrateful wretch.
I won't however give the point that yelling, poking, gouging, slapping, kicking, etc helps anything whatsoever. I really can't see the point of the dogs not being YOUR dogs. I've broken off strange APBTs as well. Nonpits yes, I see that point clearly. Regardless, I commend you for your line of work. Not everyone can do what you do in the course of a day. Blessings upon you.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Sharing your experiences with PBF -- good.
Disagreeing (politely) is good, too; if we all were already in agreement, that would be dull and there'd be nothing for anyone to learn.

Calling names, like this --
Jellin wrote:oh and for you misunderstanding turds
Impolite. Bad. Don't do that, kthx.

Back to breaking up dogfights. As far as I know, everyone who advocates breaksticks warns to watch out for dogs redirecting, and emphasizes that they're only useful when a dog has a grip on the other dog and won't let go. They are useless in a fight where the dogs are biting, releasing, and rebiting. Terriers in general, and Pit Bull Terriers especially, often seem to fight by gripping, which is by Pit Bull owners keep breaksticks on hand.

With dogs who are not terriers, breaking sticks may not be very useful. If the dogs are not gripping, you're better off separating the dogs with an object.

In my (admittedly small) experience, an airhorn might startle dogs before they've begun to fight, so the handlers can get control of the situation; or it might be useful on walks to warn off strays. However, I'd be astonished if an airhorn caused Rufus or Razz to release a grip.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:30 pm

From my experience with dog fights, adding pain to the equation only heightens the fight.

I have had to break up and witness many fights, whether it was during walks, in home, at the shelter, training classes, or on television.

If you have issues holding off two dogs on your own that is extremely easy to fix. I always have an extra slip lead on me, and I've had to use it.

Since you want to avoid being bitten, put the leash around their waste, insert the handle through the metal clip and pull the dog (Yes, if still fighting) towards something and tie them. Get around and get behind the other dog, grip from above and insert the break stick. The moment the dog releases pull away.

If I had absolutely no break stick on me, I would likely choke off the dog. Stabbing, kicking, and screaming isn't going to be productive at all. And I'm not going to let them chew each other apart.

That's my two cents.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:41 am

Well the shelter fights were due to error of new people and equipment failure.

Some didn't knock before going into the training room and just went in. (And the loose dog being trained ran up, fight ensued)
Leash breaks, leashes bitten through, Easy Walk Harness placed on wrong. Which we give an orientation for with every volunteer who plans on handling dogs, but some I guess don't pay attention.

We have better leashes at the shelter now, and we've been cracking down on the volunteers now. Less personnel before.

As for rescues, I can't answer that. You foster I assume and then it's up to the foster to watch body language, keep food up, separate play if it escalates. If the dog is dog aggressive, crate and rotate.

Jellin
BANNED

Postby Jellin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm

train4results wrote:Never thought about the waist. If they are really engaged it keeps you away from the working e3nd until one is secure. Good idea, thanks. Again dogs in shelters and rescues seem to get in lot of fights,why?

Even with our kennels reinforced with slip ties some of them find a way to pry themselves out if given the motivation. Usually by warping the door of the kennel into a bow. Our deaf female lives in a grooming kennel because she will destroy any normal crate.

si senor
Newborn Bully

Postby si senor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:15 pm

:goodpost:

MkatUmich
Newborn Bully

Postby MkatUmich » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Wish I had read this last week. Had to break them up this weekend and fortunately a neighbor came over because i'm not sure what I would have been able to accomplish on my own. We of course did everything wrong and both paid the price and I'm still not sure how we got them seperated. I half remember grabbing jaws with my hands and prying the jaw open. Fortunately I think only one dog was lashing out which is where we took most of our damage. The other had a grip apparently across the chest/shoulder based on where the stitches are.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

I can't imagine even TRYING to pry a jaw open. A dog that's serious isn't going to open very easily! When I had to break up 2 dogs by myself, the only thing I could do with lift the most aggressive one (and bigger one) up by his collar and luckily after several seconds, he dropped the younger pup. Granted, it wasn't over then, as the younger pup was trying to come back for more, but once I got inside I was able to push the pup down the hallway and through the bigger dog in the bathroom real quick. Adrenaline is definitely going at that point ... ugh.

chinchi_&_chupa
Super Bully

Postby chinchi_&_chupa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 pm

mommy2kane wrote:I can't imagine even TRYING to pry a jaw open.

Please don't...I did and I thought I lost half of one of my fingers and sticking my hands in his mouth was the only reason I was bit by my Pit Bull - our other dog, a border collie, bit me at least 10 times. It was my initial reaction to my first experience with ANY dogs fighting and a really bad idea. I've only had to pull my Pit Bull off another dog once since then and I just used his collar to choke him...normally they will let go of the other dog before they go out completely...think doggy version of a rear-naked choke - as long as you don't keep choking them after they've let go there's no significant damage.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:27 am

chinchi_&_chupa wrote:
mommy2kane wrote:I can't imagine even TRYING to pry a jaw open.

Please don't...I did and I thought I lost half of one of my fingers and sticking my hands in his mouth was the only reason I was bit by my Pit Bull - our other dog, a border collie, bit me at least 10 times. It was my initial reaction to my first experience with ANY dogs fighting and a really bad idea. I've only had to pull my Pit Bull off another dog once since then and I just used his collar to choke him...normally they will let go of the other dog before they go out completely...think doggy version of a rear-naked choke - as long as you don't keep choking them after they've let go there's no significant damage.

Sorry, my post probably wasn't clear. I was moreso in awe at the person who said they pryed their dog's jaw open. That wouldn't happen or WORK with any of my dogs. I highly doubt that would work on any super serious dog. Precisely what a breakstick is for, but even those are difficult for me. So choking a dog off is my go-to method, and what I've done when needed.

Return to “Training and Behavior”