Addicted to PBF

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:29 am

ps do you have any pictures of chief?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 pm

sure you can email them, will pm you an addy.

still batting a zero.. think a picture might help bump the train.... :sad:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:01 pm

kenoma wrote:Sounds good! I have the pictures ready whenever.

i sent you a PM (private message) with my email.. mail em over?

I still sadly havent heard nada.. how is he doing?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

2 week shutdown question

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm

So we have Brie now for a whole day. We are taking things slow with her, no outings or walks, play time with us and then time in the crate, no extensive training (i taught her sit though, in 10 minutes smart little monkey!) for the next few weeks.

Im just curious, with a 6 month old pup, how strict should we be with the shutdown? Im hand feeding all of her food to work on resource guarding but she has had no training whatsoever, and she is very eager to please so would love to start on simple training (down, maybe a few fun ones like shake). I really dont want to overwhelm her so Im making sure she is taking some good breaks in her crate.

I guess im just curious as to the opinions of the experts :P You guys have taught me a lot in the almost 2 years ive been here!

Adrianne

Re: 2 week shutdown question

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:45 pm

I'll wait for others but it is my understanding that 2 week shut down is organized for adult rescues with potential emotional issues not puppies. A 6 month old here would be integrated and taught the way of our home and socialized frequently. Maybe not all in the first couple days but more and more as the days went on. We have an 8 month old foster and a 5 month old puppy and the only reason they are crated is for safety when left alone and when we honestly need a few moments of sanity otherwise it's all about exploring, learning and socializing.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Adrianne wrote:I'll wait for others but it is my understanding that 2 week shut down is organized for adult rescues with potential emotional issues not puppies. A 6 month old here would be integrated and taught the way of our home and socialized frequently. Maybe not all in the first couple days but more and more as the days went on. We have an 8 month old foster and a 5 month old puppy and the only reason they are crated is for safety when left alone and when we honestly need a few moments of sanity otherwise it's all about exploring, learning and socializing.

Thanks Adrianne! I wasnt quite sure how much of the shutdown I should follow because of her age. I definately want her to get used to the routines of our home but also not get too overwhelmed (and to get used to being in her crate... and yah sanity what is that?).
Thanks again!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:52 pm

starrlamia wrote:So we have Brie now for a whole day. We are taking things slow with her, no outings or walks, play time with us and then time in the crate, no extensive training (i taught her sit though, in 10 minutes smart little monkey!) for the next few weeks.

Im just curious, with a 6 month old pup, how strict should we be with the shutdown? Im hand feeding all of her food to work on resource guarding but she has had no training whatsoever, and she is very eager to please so would love to start on simple training (down, maybe a few fun ones like shake). I really dont want to overwhelm her so Im making sure she is taking some good breaks in her crate.

I guess im just curious as to the opinions of the experts :P You guys have taught me a lot in the almost 2 years ive been here!

I still would give her the two weeks to bond with you, a young dog will need more excercise and play tho. But I would keep her just within your boundries and your family. I dont worry much about obedience, getting manners is the important thing, sitting is GREAT , as now you can use this to give food and treats, (find me for food), most dogs take to it pretty quick (the sit that is!)
Rushing out can just create bad manners and not knowing who to look to. I dont know if you adopted this dog or ?

Then at this age, after the two weeks, you can venture out more, as she is at a very good age to take in the world, but we still dont want to overwhelm or go the oppposite too shut down post get to know you time as at about a year sometimes we see unwanted behaviours coming out ....
Find me for food is a GREAT excercise for young dogs, as they meet new people and kids they start to think of the world as one big treat giving machine when they are behaved of course!
:thumbsup:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:44 pm

luvnstuff wrote:
starrlamia wrote:So we have Brie now for a whole day. We are taking things slow with her, no outings or walks, play time with us and then time in the crate, no extensive training (i taught her sit though, in 10 minutes smart little monkey!) for the next few weeks.

I still would give her the two weeks to bond with you, a young dog will need more excercise and play tho. But I would keep her just within your boundries and your family. I dont worry much about obedience, getting manners is the important thing, sitting is GREAT , as now you can use this to give food and treats, (find me for food), most dogs take to it pretty quick (the sit that is!)
Rushing out can just create bad manners and not knowing who to look to. I dont know if you adopted this dog or ?

Then at this age, after the two weeks, you can venture out more, as she is at a very good age to take in the world, but we still dont want to overwhelm or go the oppposite too shut down post get to know you time as at about a year sometimes we see unwanted behaviours coming out ....
Find me for food is a GREAT excercise for young dogs, as they meet new people and kids they start to think of the world as one big treat giving machine when they are behaved of course!

Thanks Luvn! We didnt get her from a rescue, but from someone who needed to rehome her. They taught her basically no manners and it sounds like she spent most of her time in her crate or being ignored. She has only been with us 2 days but is really blossoming and is sooo smart. She definately looks to us for leadership and guidance already which is awesome. We will definately be taking it easy around the house and letting her be a pup. :) Find me for food is a lot of fun and something we do with grendel often so we will definately be playing that game!

012.5RS
Newborn Bully

Postby 012.5RS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I had a few questions from those more experienced than me. I just got a 1 year old pit from a friend. I got her Friday morning. She already knew sit and release. This is my first dog so I def wanna raise her right. I honestly forgot about this thread till just now. So far I have taken her for a couple short walks just to go to the bathroom. She has went to the bathroom a few times in my apartment. So I bought puppy pads, which unfortunitly havnt seemed to work. She has slept in the bed with my gf and me since we got her. I'm going tommorow after work to get a crate for her to start crating her as your advice says to. I just hope I havnt started a bad trend already. I havnt taken her for long walks or in the car. She's actually deathly affraid of the car cause her first owner(not my friend) would lock her in there. I keep her collar on her 24/7 but havnt had her leash. Should I start with that as well with the crate? Also any brand crate you like better than another? Do I get some sort of pad for the bottom of it or no? Should I not put her food/drink bowls in the crate with her? I saw it said about hand feeding. I just wanna make sure I do the right things for her age. Thanks in advance.

012.5RS
Newborn Bully

Postby 012.5RS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Didn't see an edit button so I decided to post again. I live in a one bedroom apartment and my biggest concern is her barking and getting me in trouble with building managment. Also she pretty much follows me or my gf around everywhere we go in the apartment. She follows commands such as sit and release as mentioned above as well as when I tell her to go to the couch as well as to bed. At first she wouldn't walk into my bathroom or kitchen(which are both tile) but now she does. Any ideas or help would be great.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re:

Postby Maven » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 pm

luvnstuff wrote:[quote="Roxers
Yes it is even more important for fosters, really as we do not see the true personality in the dog for about 2 weeks, we could adopt out a problematic dog and not even realize it .

It is possible that dogs go out that fast, but even in non bullys it is rare that a foster dog goes out super fast (not saying it doesnt happen)

Some dogs are so freakin happy the two week shut down doesnt do much, but most have been thru who knows what.

From a happy home to abandoned, dumped, lost, abuse cases, tied out cases, left at the pound due to family problems. Dogs think HEY WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON..then we shuffle them from the scary pound to a new BUSY home.. then WHAM into a new home.Just ponder that, have your room mate ponder that,
and ask ourselves this question.

HOW CAN WE EXPECT DOGS TO ACCEPT WHAT WE OURSELVES COULD NOT.

I would be freaking..think every new place speaks a new lanuage, new foods, new smells.

And then we run out and socialize the heck out of the dog.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

I would freak out!

We are building and testing a product. We do not want to make it a part of OUR home (or doggy is again thinking its displaced when in a new home)

It is our JOB to make our home a place to re group, breathe, a mud platter.. then we try our best to get a good match for home and dog and make that their GOLDEN PLATTER!

so yes.. I can write more on this later.. at work now.
So tell your roomate to simmer down.. haha.

Thanks, I needed this!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Sorry Maven I missed your lil bump there. I take it you have a new dog in the home? I am a bit out of the loop but I am here and there!

Xhale1227
Newborn Bully

Postby Xhale1227 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Hey guys. Could use some help. Just adopted Mischa. Mischa is a staffy, and is a real sweetheart. She is ALWAYS attentive, sometimes too much so which bothers me. She also is always looking for me to pet her or lay down with her.

However, I just finished reading this thread, and I wished I read it sooner. I got her 3 days ago, and have been taking her on walks, in the car, into petco, the whole shabang. Yesterday she actually LUNGED at a stranger on the street and came very close to biting him. I will be doing this 2 week shutdown starting today. I have a few questions.

I live in a apartment, would a closet with her crate inside work for a shutdown area?

Also, how much attention should I give her at home? Should I be very affectionate and give her lots of physical interaction, or should I ignore her when she wants to be pet all the time?

Thanks!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Xhale1227 wrote:Hey guys. Could use some help. Just adopted Mischa. Mischa is a staffy, and is a real sweetheart. She is ALWAYS attentive, sometimes too much so which bothers me. She also is always looking for me to pet her or lay down with her.

However, I just finished reading this thread, and I wished I read it sooner. I got her 3 days ago, and have been taking her on walks, in the car, into petco, the whole shabang. Yesterday she actually LUNGED at a stranger on the street and came very close to biting him. I will be doing this 2 week shutdown starting today. I have a few questions.

I live in a apartment, would a closet with her crate inside work for a shutdown area?

Also, how much attention should I give her at home? Should I be very affectionate and give her lots of physical interaction, or should I ignore her when she wants to be pet all the time?

Thanks!

Hi glad you found us ! yea the lunge could of just been a reaction to just too much stimilus and not so sure of who to lean on, the human could of triggered a fear and not having a true leader YET ( ;) ) just reacted as AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I wouldnt put her IN the closet but in the quietest part of the room, somewhere where she isnt looking out or people are looking in at her. A place where she can listen and take in her new world in peace and safe surroudings (sp).

On the attention, no not alot of physcial contact.. her wanting to be pet is great but we dont want her to become needy or have you praise the neediness by petting either. Which can lead to MORE neediness. Slight pets, and just keep her on the leash and let her absorb and become comfortable in her own skin NEXT to you.
Actually accepting pets can be stressful to some dogs too.
Just think of this as the dating period..you dont have that comfort zone YET to over pet or touch all over .. just like dating for the first times ! Do you kissie...do you hold hands?? do you just be close to each other! Easy does it! Allow her to relax .

Find me for food is a great excercise I will refind what page its on here.. I know this thread is long, its a good early excerise that helps bonding with pets and food and starts to install manners too !

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 pm

ah ha! Page 18 scrool down for "find me for food!"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654&start=255

Return to “Training and Behavior”