Cash's Bumpy Back...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
p27rpy
Newborn Bully

Cash's Bumpy Back...

Postby p27rpy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:07 pm

First off, I searched around the forum and found only partial answers...

Cash gets these little pink bumps all over his back and belly every now and then. They are like little moles. I understand that it is an allergic reaction, and we've been giving him some Benadryl. We think it is laundry detergent that is setting it off, but were not positive.

Here are some photos:

they are absolutely COVERING his back right now. I hope the Benadryl will help a bit. They seem to be itchy and a bit oily.

Can anyone help the little guy?

p27rpy
Newborn Bully

Postby p27rpy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:15 pm

sorry, here are the same pics, not so huge

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Aw Dozer used to get those when he was about 4-8 months. Its definately some type of allergy. What are you feeding him? Has he had any contact with grass or any plants outside?

My Mom is the receptionist at Dozer's doctor and she gave me a medicated shampoo. It is called
Hexadene

Its by a company called Virbac and its a medicated shampoo for dogs and cats with antimicrobial cleansing. Are you close? I still have some I can send to you. Or Ill try to find the website. Maybe you can order some- or get your vet to order some for you.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:18 pm

Heres a link where you can buy some!

http://www.vetmeddeals.com/hexadene-sha ... ifvda5k054

p27rpy
Newborn Bully

Postby p27rpy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:42 pm

He breaks out after being inside, not out. For example, we got him from back from boarding after a vacation and his skin was all clear but after a night of sleeping on a bed, his back had a bunch of these bumps. Not this bad though :frown:

He went through a period of being really really picky about his food and I didn't want to throw any of it away so it's a mixture of Science Diet, NutroMax, and probably a Purina flavor.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look now. Anybody know anything about the fragrance-free All detergent?

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Do you use any type of carpet fresh?

I think the Glade stuff that I was using also may have bothered his skin.

p27rpy
Newborn Bully

Postby p27rpy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Well there ya go... I use Glade as well.

I also use Downy detergent and my mom uses Tide (he also breaks out at her house)

I guess I'll stop using the carpet freshener and see if that combination helps. Thanks!

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:49 am

you can also take him to the vet and get him a steroid shot to help him through it that looks very bothersome..........

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:48 pm

The pictures do not look good at all.

Please consider these several things:

- all the food you just said you feed him is not that great. If you can afford it, please consider changing his diet to something like Orijen, Innova Evo, Canidae (this one is not that expensive).

- consider the surface he is sleeping on. If he is sleeping on the carpet, stop spraying the carpet with freshner, if he is sleeping on the bed, stop using any linen freshner, maybe even consider changing your washing products.

- his bathing products, switch to medicated shampoos for the time being.

Hopefully this helps and hopefully your boy feels better soon.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Instead of carpet fresh, you can use plain baking soda on your carpets. Sprinkle and let it sit for 15 minutes before vacuuming.

Can you try switching to All free & clear or another similar detergent brand to see if it makes a difference? I think most major brands make hypoallergenic formulas.

p27rpy
Newborn Bully

Postby p27rpy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:32 pm

pavlov wrote:The pictures do not look good at all.

- all the food you just said you feed him is not that great. If you can afford it, please consider changing his diet to something like Orijen, Innova Evo, Canidae (this one is not that expensive).

- consider the surface he is sleeping on. If he is sleeping on the carpet, stop spraying the carpet with freshner, if he is sleeping on the bed, stop using any linen freshner, maybe even consider changing your washing products.

thanks for the tips! money is pretty tight, but i'll look into the food you listed.
he usually sleeps on his couch or the bed, which are both washed with the same detergent...i think we're going to change to the All no dys or fragrances stuff to see how that works.
right now, we use puppy shampoo, but i am going to pick up some medicated shampoo tomorrow and see how that works. poor guy, i feel so bad for him.

Allie wrote:Instead of carpet fresh, you can use plain baking soda on your carpets. Sprinkle and let it sit for 15 minutes before vacuuming.

Can you try switching to All free & clear or another similar detergent brand to see if it makes a difference? I think most major brands make hypoallergenic formulas.

good tip as well! i am definitely going to try the All free& clear as i think that the detergent is the main cause to his problem.

thanks a lot for all the help guys! keep it coming!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Hey good luck! I know allergies can be uber frustrating.

I also agree with the poster wo suggested getting your baby in for an injection to help get through this nasty bout.

pavlov
***WARNING2***
***WARNING2***

Postby pavlov » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:21 pm

p27rpy wrote:
pavlov wrote:The pictures do not look good at all.

thanks for the tips! money is pretty tight, but i'll look into the food you listed.
he usually sleeps on his couch or the bed, which are both washed with the same detergent...i think we're going to change to the All no dys or fragrances stuff to see how that works.
right now, we use puppy shampoo, but i am going to pick up some medicated shampoo tomorrow and see how that works. poor guy, i feel so bad for him.

Allie wrote:Instead of carpet fresh, you can use plain baking soda on your carpets. Sprinkle and let it sit for 15 minutes before vacuuming.

good tip as well! i am definitely going to try the All free& clear as i think that the detergent is the main cause to his problem.

thanks a lot for all the help guys! keep it coming!

Oh, when you said that he sleeps on his bed - one more thing: if his bed is one of these fluffy artifical covers he is almost guaranteed to get rashesh. I remember long time ago my big boy developed a rash because of the artificial fluffy cover on his bed. I bought him a new one 100% cotton and he was fine. If you can't afford a new bed, just go ahead and put a plain white linen sheet on top of his bed so he doesn't lay directly on the fluffy artificial material.

Also for the food try www.k9cuisine.com - free shipping on all order above $50 and it comes within 3-4 days directly delivered to your door. They have Canidae All Life stages 40lbs bag for $47.92, which is a really good price. Buy something else cheap for $3 in order to be able to go above $50 and get the free shipping. Of course they have Orijen (which is what i feed) 29.7lbs bag for $59.99 - free shipping. And they have Innova Evo Large Bites 28.6lbs bag for $55.99.

Also you might want to check with your local organic store, some of them carry these brands, might be cheaper.

Good luck buddy!

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:45 pm

I betcha its the carpet fresh. I would vaccuum REALLY well. Borrow a Kirby if you have to!

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Poor baby!!!
My Ginger just got over a bad bout of hives.

If its his food, you could try Kirkland signature. Emma eats it and does great. And its only $16.00 for almost 50lbs You can only get it at costco though

Return to “Health Issues”