Canidae changing it's formula

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Canidae changing it's formula

Postby pblove » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:38 pm

saw this on another forum and thought you all should be aware of it :sad:

http://www.canidae.com/new-formulas.html

New 'Original' Formula
Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, organic selenium, papaya, pineapple.

Old 'Original' Formula
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kcalbat » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:08 pm

seems an ok switch to me, what do you think?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up. It kinda seems like an improvement... is that others' opinion as well?

What is pineapple for?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:19 pm

The addition of millet and barley may be an issue for some sensitive dogs since they are heavily glutenous grains that contain a good amount of plant-protein.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 pm

jlphilli wrote:The addition of millet and barley may be an issue for some sensitive dogs since they are heavily glutenous grains that contain a good amount of plant-protein.

We'll be keeping an eye on it. Thanks.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:50 pm

Looks like they're putting more lamb in - that's good :)
The added plant ingredients may bother some dogs. Then again, so could the increased amount of lamb.

I'll only be changing if a problem comes up.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 pm

Is that the all life stages formula?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:50 pm

Still looks ok... which is good because I was going to try it for Sheila when she runs out of free vet school food. Luckily she doesn't have any sensitivities.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:31 pm

What about the guaranteed analysis and target pH? I know the target pH for the old formula was 6. I feed the Platinum, which pretty much is the same formula as the all life stages except for the fat and protein content is less, is that one also changing?

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Allie wrote:What is pineapple for?

No clue, but Molly loves pineapple.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:51 am

Guess who is now manufacturing their food? DIAMOND......

I "heard" it thru the grapevine and posted it on another forum. A person on the other forum called and it was confirmed that they are now using DIAMOND manufacturing plants to put together their food.

No thank you......

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:39 am

Hmmmm..... Tomato pomace

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_pomace

Tomato pomace is an inexpensive by-product of tomato manufacturing. Effectively, it is what is left-over after processing tomatoes for juice, ketchup, soup, etc. It is sometimes used in pet and livestock food manufacturing as a source of dietary fiber, as well as B vitamins, and (to a lesser extent) vitamin A. As the primary component of tomato pomace is the tomato skin, it has the potential for higher amounts of pesticide residues than tomatoes themselves. As tomato pomace tends to be about 75% water, the cost of shipping tends to be very high (due to weight), and the majority ends up in landfills.

eoneel
Newborn Bully

Postby eoneel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:45 am

I have noticed that both Canidae and Merrick Wilderness blend both have an equal percentage of protien at 24%. Merrick has a fat content of 15%, and Canidae is at 14.50%. The first 5 indgredients of the new Canidae is chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice and white rice.
Merrick Wilderness Blend's first 5 ingredients are buffalo, oatmeal, barley, salmon meal, and venison.
It seems that comparing ingredients of the two that Canidae would be higher in protein with 3 meat meals as the first 3, where as Merrick has oatmeal, and barley as two of the first 3, plus their is only one meat meal in the first 5 ingredients of merrick being salmon meal. How can they be equal in protien?
I have been feeding Merrick Wilderness Blend and occasionally Merrick Turducken for about 2 years now and Gator loves it, and is doing really good on it. Of course he gets real meat scraps as well hear and there but maybe I should consider Canidae. Does anybody know how close in quality these foods really are?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 am

The slight ingredient changes (moving lamb up the list, moving brown rice further down, adding pineapple) don't trouble me, but the single biggest problem I see with the changes is that they are going from chelated vitamins and minerals , which are chemically bonded to amino acids and therefore supposedly easy to digest, to "proteienates," which are minerals bound to a protein source. The difference is that chelated minerals and vitamins are (supposedly) more readily and easily absorbed; proteinates need more digestion to break them down so the body can use them . . . not a HUGE deal, because even proteinated minerals are way better than the sulfates and phosphates that most dog foods use, but I'm guessing it's a cost cutting measure. So technically, they ought to be reducing the price of the food if they are cutting back on quality!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:39 am

wait, they are having diamond do the processing? wth does diamond have that makes all these companies switch to them for processing?

well, i am not going to use canidae ever again, and will not refer them since they now have diamond processing their food..

Return to “Health Issues”